Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

anyone running 35's on their disco?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I've been stuck once, and got pulled out by a full-sized diesel Chevy. It seemed embarrassing in my head, but I was very appreciative to to be pulled out. And I routinely wheel with my buddy who dries a lifted KJ, which usually gets about as far as the Rover. Granted I don't have lockers or anything yet, I'm saving/waiting for that.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey

Some pics of my old rigs that I built and wheeled so you guys kow I'm not Full of Shi*

Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AKdisco
Yes PLEASE dont be cocky about a Rover, they are like any other vehicle out there.......Capable of getting stuck. I have run many rigs, but my last rig I built was a 78 K5 Blazer.....400HP, 4-speed low geared sm465 tranny, 205 T-case, 5.13 gears, 42" Swampers, welded rear end, ARB locker up front etc etc etc.......I still got stuck now and then and I'm a pretty good technical driver, bottom line....IT HAPPENS to everyone. I dont care what pulls me out because I've pulled every kind of vehicle out imaginable, its about the wheeling and the adventure NOT a Pissing match between name Brand vehicles. HUMMER guys are really cocky.......thats why when one gets stuck everyone makes a big deal out of it, dont be like that, be humble, just go enjoy your ride and GET STUCK, i repeat GET STUCK.......It will help you become a better driver and help you understand your vehicles capabilities. How you gonna know the limits when they arnt pushed. For every "Stuck" you have you will drive out of there with a good story and more importantly EXPERIENCE. I can pretty much un-stuck any rig because of countless hours of using a Hi-Lift, using ****** blocks, digging holes for dead man points, using come alongs, using winches, using tree limbs to fill up holes etc etc. Been there done that and it was ALL FUN.

AMEN...I love getting stuck..its part of wheeling (i just hate cleaning afterwards) Getting stuck does net you more and more experience. Land Rovers are not holy grail to 4x4ing but its one of the most capable 4x4's w/o too much mods

Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Mudding
Default hey

Yes, ANY fool can drive a truck into the suck, real off-roaders are able to drive out. I've seen countless times some teenager or dumb as* in his new Tahoe, Z71, Bronco etc etc run full bore into a mudhole at 30 mph completely bashing the front end onto the "un-seen" rock under the muck OR just simply blasting so much water under their hood that the truck hydrolocks and dies. You can always tell the in-experienced guys because they tackle every obstacle FULL throttle. Me......I go as SLOW as possible but fast as neccessary.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Getting stuck is where you get the cool stories to tell the grandkids. I've also seen days when I got my Full size Jeep stuck and needed to be pulled out by a baby jeep only to find the baby jeep later down the trail needing to be pulled out...always a blast. That's why you use the buddy system when wheeling. So you can try impossible spots and have someone there to pull you out, or vice versa.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Winching

Hey, no one said anyone was full of anything, nice rigs by the way. Most of us here have wheeled a fair amount, and driven other brands also. The comments about tires, suspensions, and about not getting too cocky reflect the fact that Rovers behave differently than other rigs you may have had. They will walk through some things that look impossible, but occasionally get stuck in unexpected spots. They do their job with smaller tires than many wheelers would consider prudent, but they make it through nonetheless.

I think people simply want to learn from your experience with the upcoming build, and are offering a bit of brotherly advice to a new member of the Rover family. That's why I want pics when it's all installed, I'm not calling you out for BS or anything like that. Don't sweat it man, we're all here to learn.

On the other hand, building nice rigs doesn't excuse bashing on other brands; if anything it should teach you that many different platforms can all be made capable off-road. Some vehicles just start farther along the scale than others...

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 02-09-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Three Wheeling

I can honestly say that 235/85 is a very good choice, I have had several Jeeps in the past even have an XJ I am building right now that is longarmed. My Discovery goes places with just the lift and tires on it that my last XJ with front and rear lockers on 33's had trouble. That is going to be my next purchase if this rig stays together is at least a detroit for the rear, or ARB's for both ends. Here is a pic of the XJ it was a very capable rig just a different flavor or trail ride
Name:  Photo0127.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  91.5 KB
This is the one been working on a little
Name:  Photo0163.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  42.4 KB

Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Mudding
Default hey

Very true Goat. I always joke with my bud when on the trail about whatever brand rig they happen to be in, but its fun and games. I have heard and seen first hand what a Rover on 32's is capable of and its pretty cool, thats why I wanted one. I already have huge tired, high HP rigs to go muddin in, I wanted a disco to run 32's on and see what it could do for myself. I was always amazed by the Camel Trophy rigs, I would be hesitant even in my 42" tired fully locked Blazer to do what those guys do!!, so seing a 2" over stock rig on 32's doing it amazes me. Some of my favorite wheeling trips have been on basically stock or "lightly" modified rigs". Its no fun when you can idle over everything on 42's sometimes.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Winching

Cooter, can we see your Disco on the 235/85s?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
Cooter, can we see your Disco on the 235/85s?
I can do even better than that
Stock on 235/70
Name:  Photo0102.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  74.8 KB
2" lift with 235/85
Name:  Photo0135.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  83.0 KB

Quick Reply: anyone running 35's on their disco?