Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Anyone try a Redhead steering box?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone try a Redhead steering box?

My steering box is leaking at the input and output seals and I want to replace it. I did some research and Redhead is supposed to be the best but they're pricey. $475. I was wondering if anyone has tried them yet. From what I've read they're supposed to be really heavy duty.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I got a new one from Will Tillery. No leaks so far.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:41 AM
Three Wheeling

As a follow up I bought a new one from Will and it seems to be working well. No leaks and it's only slightly more than a rebuilt steering box. My Land Rover mechanic also advised against buying rebuilt.
However, the problem I have now is the steering wheel is off angle from the wheels. My mechanic must have mis aligned something in the install. The tire alignment is fine but the steering wheel is turned about 20 degrees left when the wheels are straight.
Is there a way to adjust the steering wheel back straight when the wheels are straight ahead?
Vehicle is a 95 Discovery

Old 02-15-2015, 09:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

There's a notch in the back of the pitman arm that lines up with a hole in the steering box. You'll want to make sure that notch/hole are lined up when your wheels are straight.
That hole in the steering box will actually accept a bolt(M8 I think) to keep the pitman arm locked in place during alignment.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
There's a notch in the back of the pitman arm that lines up with a hole in the steering box. You'll want to make sure that notch/hole are lined up when your wheels are straight. That hole in the steering box will actually accept a bolt(M8 I think) to keep the pitman arm locked in place during alignment.
And if the the bolt goes in the hole after you're driving straight and the wheel is crooked, then the alignment was done right, and you can disconnect the steering shaft and straighten the wheel.

If the steering wheel has to be straight, but you aren't driving straight to get the bolt in the hole, then they need to align it again, but with the box pinned.

After all is said and done the wheel should be straight, you should drive straight, and the pin should go in the hole.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys. The notch lines up with the bolt hole. So it looks like I need to adjust the steering shaft? There's a bolt at the steering box input shift end. It looks like I would loosen that, remove the shaft, set the steering wheel straight, then reconnect the shaft and tighten the bolt. Is that correct?

Old 02-15-2015, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Yep. Don't let the wheel spin or you'll damage the rotary coupler for the airbag, horns, etc.

Might even have someone hold it or something.

The older cars were easier, you could just pull the wheel off and straighten it. If you do that with an airbag wheel, you might end up with not enough slack in the coupler and you could pull the wires when you turn the wheel all the way to one direction.