Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Power steering leak, but not sure if it's the steering box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:38 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power steering leak, but not sure if it's the steering box?

My Discovery went in for an oil change on Wednesday and I was told my power steering is leaking, however the place only does oil changes.

I know I had a leak but till then wasn't sure what it was, however all other fluid levels are fine.

I took a picture of the suspect leak location, I wiped it clean left it for 30 minutes went out and checked it and more fluid had gathered there.

The red circle is where the leak is gathering, I think that is the power steering box with a nice crack in it.

The yellow circle is just some more power steering fluid on the hose, however the leak spot on the driveway is right under the box, if that's what that is.

Just wanted to know if I am correct in what I think that piece is and would such a crack (if that is a crack) cause the "Check Engine" light to come on?

The second picture is also leaking the same fluid, now I have no idea what that is called?

How hard is this to change myself? Even though it will be messy with all the undercoating.

Thank you

Britney and Clover the Rover

Attached Thumbnails Power steering leak, but not sure if it's the steering box?-dsc_0012.jpg   Power steering leak, but not sure if it's the steering box?-dsc_0013.jpg  

Last edited by DiscoBritney; 11-25-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Found a second leak
Old 11-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

That is the dirtyest engine I have seen i a while.
Go power scrub the top and bottom of the engine and then lay under it till it leaks again, then get back to us.
Also go get your codes read, don't guess or neglect what the truck is trying to tell you.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

The second pic is one of four tie rod ends on your steering rods. There is nothing to leak out of them except maybe a little grease.
It doesn't look like a crack to me. Your box could be leaking, but I would also put money on your hoses leaking at the reservoir. I have all new hoses and a rebuilt box and my hoses still leak at the reservoir. The fluid runs down the hoses, drips onto the PS box, then drips onto the ground. Clean up the hoses real well. Zip tie a rag around each hose near the reservoir. See if the rag collects the fluid, or if there is still new fluid present on the box. That should help narrow down your problem.
On the bright side none of your fittings will be rusted or seized.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:35 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
That is the dirtyest engine I have seen i a while.
Go power scrub the top and bottom of the engine and then lay under it till it leaks again, then get back to us.
Also go get your codes read, don't guess or neglect what the truck is trying to tell you.
I'm getting the code read hopefully today if they have a spot, in terms of power scrubbing it, the truck was undercoated on Wednesday. Maybe that's why it looks really dirty?

Old 11-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Go to a parts store and get a can of brake-kleen (the nasty kind, not the non-chlorinated) and a parts brush

Spray the area and brush it clean, spray again then wipe is clean. Then observe for leaks. (wear some eye protection so you don't splatter it in your eyes)

I've never seen a PS box crack, I suspect is a seam in the forging, but anything is possible.
But the hoses leaks eventually and a PS box leak is really common.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:22 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by antichrist
Go to a parts store and get a can of brake-kleen (the nasty kind, not the non-chlorinated) and a parts brush

Spray the area and brush it clean, spray again then wipe is clean. Then observe for leaks. (wear some eye protection so you don't splatter it in your eyes)

I've never seen a PS box crack, I suspect is a seam in the forging, but anything is possible.
But the hoses leaks eventually and a PS box leak is really common.
I prefer this idea over the $1000 +tax I was quoted to replace it, just to make sure I'm not making a mistake and it is just a hose. Thank you, perfect art project for probably the nice last weekend before the winter hits

Brit and Clover the Rover

Old 11-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had PS fluid running all over my box and after replacing all three hoses, no more leaks. The main leaker for me was the hose between the PS pump and the box. Also make sure your hose clamps are nice and snug.

It's about a Benjamin or so to buy the hoses, and a couple hours of messy work to replace them.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The steering system can leak in several places.

You should have the area completely cleaned first, then leaking area(s) will be easier to spot.

Cleaning that area might need more than just a brush....might need a scraper also.....

Old 11-28-2011, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You would not want undercoating on the things that move under the truck, either they did a bad job of that, and you will have problems, or you could have a great oil leak from the front crankshaft seal that can throw oil some distance. The wave pattern can come from it being warm and buffetted by high way speed air. Have seen this many times on dead Discos in the boneyard.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:39 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I think the wave pattern you're referring to, if it's on the box, is from her wiping it off.

Quick Reply: Power steering leak, but not sure if it's the steering box?