Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Auction: 1-owner 60k-mile manual transmission D1 on Cars and Bids

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Auction: 1-owner 60k-mile manual transmission D1 on Cars and Bids

Hi all,

Haven't visited the D1 forum before, but thought you might be interested in the auction below. I think it's safe to say that off-road SUVs of this vintage are rising in value (see: RRC, Land Cruiser, 4Runner, etc.), and it'll be interesting to see where this D1 goes. Auction is no-reserve - despite the rough cosmetic condition, I think the rarity of manual transmission models, coupled with the low mileage and one-owner status, should give it a higher price than most of us might expect.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rJZ...r-discovery-sd
Engine video from the seller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7EV...ature=youtu.be

For those unfamiliar, Cars and Bids is a car auction site for enthusiast vehicles that's looking to take on a slice of the Bring a Trailer market. More info here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/01/b...o-youtube.html. I am not affiliated with the seller or the auction site in any way.

Cheers!

Last edited by boston4; 10-01-2020 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Clarifying lack of affiliation with this auction or the listing site.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the idea of someone knocking BaT off their market-skewing pedestal, but Doug DeMuro’s schtick is just more than I can stomach. Some people seem to enjoy the guy, but after 5 minutes you feel like you just watched Steve Urkel say “did I do that?” for the 100th time.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

It has seen better days that's for sure. Pretty rough looking if you examine each photo closely. This isn't going to be a $10k truck by any means. I'd be surprised if it hits $7k but we shall see. Perfect Winter Romp vehicle maybe I'll bid!!

The following users liked this post:
Defender1009 (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 10:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Defender1009
I like the idea of someone knocking BaT off their market-skewing pedestal, but Doug DeMuro’s schtick is just more than I can stomach. Some people seem to enjoy the guy, but after 5 minutes you feel like you just watched Steve Urkel say “did I do that?” for the 100th time.
Definitely agree - BAT doesn’t really compete with eBay motors (and neither does C&B), so it’s good to see another participant in the market. I enjoy Doug’s videos and I think he’s a pretty smart guy who makes a lot of good points, but it does seem as though he’s kind of backed himself into a corner by focusing so much on “quirks and features” which are often just kind of “gimmicks on the 5 series that we already covered during my review of the 3 series.”

One channel that does a much better job from the technical perspective is called savagegeese - they have really high production quality and have a segment where they put the car in a garage and on a lift, look at the drivetrain/steering/suspension/engine/transmission/platform, and discuss why it’s built the way it is and how it fits into the manufacturer’s other offerings from that perspective. Some of their other segments are less interesting and they have some humor that sometimes misses the mark, but the technical segments are quite good.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:46 PM
Rock Crawling

SOLD at $4800. Seems like a pretty good price to me.