Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

D1 offroad beast, exoskeleton!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Default D1 offroad beast, exoskeleton!

I don't know the seller and have not seen the car in person, but it looks cool.

1997 Land Rover discovery (Disco 1), extreme off road modified

I can do an inspection for a forum member if interested.

Let the comments begin!

The following users liked this post:
dusty1 (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I think he should have invested his 10 k in something else , I see a d1 for a few k with pipe welded to it and **** paint

Old 12-12-2014, 05:56 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

damn, that thing has some poopy welds on it. cut the price in half and it is at least worth stopping for parts.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

well that does it. mine will never be that cool. I give up!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Unfortunately, this is not that uncommon for D1's. It's what I wrote about in the recent "what to look for in a used Disco" thread: "For this generation of buyers, there were those who just hoped to have a usable vehicle that did a little something for their image, and there were others who paid so little they were not afraid to take the vehicles offroad -- seriously. The first type struggled to maintain them and either sold them again or neglected them while they rotted away. The second type beat them badly, and often used ghetto fab to keep them going in order to subject them to further punishment."

This is an example of Ghetto fab. Only I will give the builder further credit for going beyond basic repairs and fabricating a useless exocage, an A-Team bumper, and what is obviously a killer boomin' system.

I think all of the modifications done to this vehicle lower the resale value rather than increase it. The 4.75 gears with HD axles might have been some kind of upgrade over stock, but only if they were somehow different than everything that is visible, and if they hadn't been abused by 35" tires and a Detroit locker.

I would much rather start with a clean, stock vehicle, or even one that's been left to rot. But it is an object lesson in resale value. The fact is, had this guy done nothing more harmless than bolt on a few ARB accessories, he'd still be losing his shirt on the sale. The fact that he probably did spend over $10k on the heap only to possess less than a third of that in resale value is certainly a reality check.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Someone will buy it then come to the boards looking for help fixing the mess, makes me glad I started with a bone stock rover

Old 12-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
Unfortunately, this is not that uncommon for D1's. It's what I wrote about in the recent "what to look for in a used Disco" thread: "For this generation of buyers, there were those who just hoped to have a usable vehicle that did a little something for their image, and there were others who paid so little they were not afraid to take the vehicles offroad -- seriously. The first type struggled to maintain them and either sold them again or neglected them while they rotted away. The second type beat them badly, and often used ghetto fab to keep them going in order to subject them to further punishment."

This is an example of Ghetto fab. Only I will give the builder further credit for going beyond basic repairs and fabricating a useless exocage, an A-Team bumper, and what is obviously a killer boomin' system.

I think all of the modifications done to this vehicle lower the resale value rather than increase it. The 4.75 gears with HD axles might have been some kind of upgrade over stock, but only if they were somehow different than everything that is visible, and if they hadn't been abused by 35" tires and a Detroit locker.

I would much rather start with a clean, stock vehicle, or even one that's been left to rot. But it is an object lesson in resale value. The fact is, had this guy done nothing more harmless than bolt on a few ARB accessories, he'd still be losing his shirt on the sale. The fact that he probably did spend over $10k on the heap only to possess less than a third of that in resale value is certainly a reality check.
What's wroung with 35 and detroit lockers

Old 12-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

35's have a large radius that can exert more torque on the Rover axle than it was designed to take before exceeding the yield strength. They can twist the axle shafts beyond the elastic limit and the axles won't return, but will remain a little twisted with plastic deformation. That deformation accumulates over time and eventually the axles become very weak, like a paper clip that has been bent too far too many times. The Detroit locker adds to this because it often fails to unlock in a corner, adding to the stress on the axle shaft on the inside of the turn. They're best known for their habit of suddenly unlocking with a "bang," but the real damage is done before they unlock. They twist the snot out of axle shafts when they're driven on the street. With modest tire sizes it might not be too big of an issue, but for Rover axles, 35's are pushing it to the limit even for "HD" axles.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I emailed the guy said the axles are from lucky 8 and everything done internally to them were from lucky 8 they have a lifetime warranty supposedly

Old 12-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

I know I am glad we decided against leaning my brush guard out like his , looks like poo , might not be so bad if the Fab work was done with better quality