Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THATS what those are....that explains SO much!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Mudding

It is doing it again. What exactly do I need to check to fix this?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Rover11 - I would support Dodgers suggestion of the Fuel Pressure Regulator...have you had the pressure at the rail read?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by groundandpound
Rover11 - I would support Dodgers suggestion of the Fuel Pressure Regulator...have you had the pressure at the rail read?
No I really haven't done anything. I did not know where to start.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Rock Crawling

Assuming that you have already replaced the Fuel Filter to ensure it is not a 'flow" issue from an old/clogged filter, then it would lead me to believe that it is either the pump or the fuel pressure regulator.

In order to read the fuel pressure, I have had luck in the past using a fluid filled, dial type tire pressure gauge to check the Fuel Pressure at the "rail" via the schrader valve. (Looks like a tire stem, but have a rag ready because there will be some spillage.) You can purchase a fuel pressure gauge, but I did not see the point.

If you are concerned that the results of a "bouncing" pressure reading could be from a Fuel Pump going bad or the Fuel Pressure Regulator, I would check the regulator with a multi-meter to ensure that it is functioning properly. If it is functioning properly, then to me, it would appear to be a failing pump.

Or you could spend about $80 to get a replacement pump and take an hour or so to swap it out (pump and "pump sock" type filter only - not the full pump drop in replacement) and see if your issue dissipates. If it does, your good to do. The Airtex 3270 pump should work for you - only additional hardware you would need is a 8 to 10" length of 5/16" fuel hose and 2 hose clamps to install this. It is a cheap repair, and has held on my truck for over 3 months now.
I ordered the $99 Pro-Line "drop in" replacement as I had some cracking on the top of the pump housing - but now have a "known good" in case something comes up in the future.

If replacing the pump does not correct your issue - then you know it is the regulator.

Good luck!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to a parts store and buy a fuel pressure tester for about $25-40 and test your fuel pressure. You will want to have one anyway for future issues and other vehicles. Test the fuel pressure at the shrader valve on the fuel rail on the passenger side of the intake manifold. Shoould be 37psi with the ignition turned on but the engine not running. If it is, then start the engine and see if you have a minimum of 34? psi while idleing. If you do not have either of those, then replace your fuel pump.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Go to a parts store and buy a fuel pressure tester for about $25-40 and test your fuel pressure. You will want to have one anyway for future issues and other vehicles. Test the fuel pressure at the shrader valve on the fuel rail on the passenger side of the intake manifold. Shoould be 37psi with the ignition turned on but the engine not running. If it is, then start the engine and see if you have a minimum of 34? psi while idleing. If you do not have either of those, then replace your fuel pump.
What he said!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Mudding

I honestly have not checked the fuel filter. I have only had the truck for a month or so. I've probably put 100 miles on it because I have had nothing but issues with it. The previous owner said he put a new fuel pump in a few months ago. I'm assuming the fuel pump is ok? I am not sure if he changed the fuel filter though.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by rover11
I honestly have not checked the fuel filter. I have only had the truck for a month or so. I've probably put 100 miles on it because I have had nothing but issues with it. The previous owner said he put a new fuel pump in a few months ago. I'm assuming the fuel pump is ok? I am not sure if he changed the fuel filter though.
On your vehicle, it may be in the tank with the pump. I have a pre-AEL Discovery I, so my filter is external under the rear passenger wheel well.

If he did indeed change the pump, then you may have an "installation" issue if the POV did this himself. I have read stories where the the installation was not completed properly, and the bottom "cup" of the pump assembly was completely off and the pump just slamming against the bottom of the tank.

If I were you, I would pull the carpet up off the cargo floor, take off the access cover and pull the assembly out of the tank for the "visual once over".

Other than that, without any additional details, the other suggested courses of action are still the ones I would pursue.

Good Luck!

Chris

Old 03-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fuel filter location

Not in the tank.....

Look inside the right rear wheel arch... see the chassis / frame just forward of the wheel arch... there is a round canister mounted to the frame with a pipe going in and a pipe going out.... your fuel filter.

Quick Reply: Bad fuel pump?