Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jafir
I'm sorry. What I meant was I was being too lazy to read the rest of the thread.

It still sounds like an exhaust restriction. Maybe the new cats were damaged somehow?
Not possible the truck has hardly been driven since the exhaust was installed...

It is def something to do with the ecu. I started taking one of the bolts off then dropped my wrench. I did tap the ecu as well. I tried starting it instead of looking for the wrench. It drove perfect!!!

Could it be possible that it took a couple of times starting the truck for the truck to recognize the new fuel pump?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could it be possible that it took a couple of times starting the truck for the truck to recognize the new fuel pump?

I do not know of anything that has to "Recognize the new fuel pump?" Sounds like you are grasping for straws, please don't create possibilities that have no basis.

It would not be unheard of for a newly installed exhaust to have some type of problem. Or something else that was involved in the recent repairs. Did you replace the front O2 sensors or did they reinstall the existing ones?

Often times the latest repairs or mods do cause or contribute if not directly cause a new or different problem.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Danny - the pump was replaced without the battery disconnected. It was my understanding that the ECU/M "reset" when this occurs. (battery disconnected for 30+ minutes) Therefore, if he put a new pump in, and the ECU/M had NOT "reset" then it would have been attempting to run with the mixtures from the bad pump.
Once the unit "reset" then it would have read the pressure etc...from the new pump and ran correctly.

Is that not the case?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:09 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by groundandpound
Danny - the pump was replaced without the battery disconnected. It was my understanding that the ECU/M "reset" when this occurs. (battery disconnected for 30+ minutes) Therefore, if he put a new pump in, and the ECU/M had NOT "reset" then it would have been attempting to run with the mixtures from the bad pump.
Once the unit "reset" then it would have read the pressure etc...from the new pump and ran correctly.

Is that not the case?
Nope. The ECM and pump do not communicate other than the ECM providing the signal for the pump to turn on. The pump always works as hard as it can. It does not adjust for varying fuel demands. That is why there is a fuel return line. The pump is supposed to provide more fuel volume and pressure than is necessary.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Rock Crawling

I understand that - I was speaking to the ECU/M adjusting the mixture based on the pressure/fuel delivery - not recognition of the pump per se.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by groundandpound
I understand that - I was speaking to the ECU/M adjusting the mixture based on the pressure/fuel delivery - not recognition of the pump per se.
Hmmm, I know the ECM does not monitor fuel pressure. I do not know if the ECM would or could adjust the mixture based on a dieing pump...I had never considered it before. Wouldn't surprise me on a Land Rover if it did. But a few drive cycles would/should clear that up with it's adaptive memory.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Rock Crawling

That was my thought - and seems to be what he is experiencing...it was "same/same" for the first couple runs, then - after his incident with the Fuel ECU - it cleared up and is now running well.
There still may be an issue with his ECU as prior to replacing the pump he had intermittent success by "jiggling" the wires.
Any idea if the fuel ECU is subject to the same "breaks" as the rear window ECU's? Because I think that may be the issue...

Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

I do not know of anything that has to "Recognize the new fuel pump?" Sounds like you are grasping for straws, please don't create possibilities that have no basis.

It would not be unheard of for a newly installed exhaust to have some type of problem. Or something else that was involved in the recent repairs. Did you replace the front O2 sensors or did they reinstall the existing ones?

Often times the latest repairs or mods do cause or contribute if not directly cause a new or different problem.
Wow! It was just a thought....

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the exhaust. I was having this problem before the exhaust was installed.

I have yet to try and drive the Rover again today. Knowing my luck the problem will be back.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was having this problem before the exhaust was installed.

You did not tell us that! We can't read your mind.

I know that the ECU sends the power to fuel pump but unaware of the ECU monitoring fuel pressure if it does indeed occcur. It does monitor temp and adjust accordingly.

If he can jiggle wires or bump the unit and get a change, that is highly indicative of an electrical issue. I have read that the Engine ECU and Window ECU do indeed share those characteristics of bad solder joints. I have also had bad in-line splices and damaged or degraded insulation cause problems on my Discovery.