Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Baterry light almost on

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baterry light almost on

hi mi disco 94, shows a low light on the baterry inficator on the panel, when i accelertte it goes off, and when i stop again it goes low on again

maybe can someone tell me what happens

also another sympthoms that could or couldnt be associatted are

misfiring a litle when going to a lower gear
starting is difficult sometimes
stumbling when running, and it feels like cutting out sometimes when i stop accelerating

hope you can help

Old 09-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check and make sure your connections are all good, clean, and tight. Also make sure the belt is routed correctly and tight. I would also have the battery tested.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:27 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alternator not charging at idle causes those symptoms. See if you can get your charging system tested. Could need new brushes, or the alternator could just be shorted. Also could be an issue with the belt or wiring. I'm putting my money on the alternator.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

x2 on the clean all terminals, and two big ones that are in the under hood fuse box will also need attention. It is likely that alternator is only 1/3 or 2/3 normal output amps. If tach is still working, you have some output, but if you were to put a voltmeter on the battery here is what you may find:

Normal at idle - 13.8 - 14.2 volts

Turn on lights and AC and fan on high - volts may drop, but need to be above 13.2 - this shows that your alternator can supply a real load, not just minimum.

DO NOT buy an aftermarket alternator from a major auto parts store, even with warranty. The rebuilder uses parts from China and you will have multiple failures during the warranty period. You will be dollars ahead to replace the brushes/regulator yourself, part is about $60 from on-line sources; or even better take it to your indy starter and alternator shop. The shop I use charges under $100 to rebuild a Rover alternator.

Watch belt route, it is in the tech sticky of the Disco 1 section.

If you don't fix this, next time you drive in the rain with everything running, battery may get run down because not enough amps to keep up with it. Fuel pump stops, AC stops, radio stops, truck stops....

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-22-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:18 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, Yesterday I had a forklift brought to me. It would stall at idle, ran fine at anything over idle. Checked the voltage at idle - battery voltage. Checked the voltage as I increased the throttle, the voltage went up. Pulled the alternator apart and found the brushes worn out. Replaced the alternator and good to go(I'd have fixed it, but the brushes are unavailable to me in a timely manner)

Moral of the story, clean your connections and check your charging voltages!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yep. The Disco (and perhaps others) have that underhood fuse box, where a leg goes to the alternator and battery, and everything else trees off from there. It is close to the battery, but people only clean the battery terminals.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 09-23-2011, 06:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips i will do it this weekend and make sure i check and clean al conection, and test my charging electric system

Old 09-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your problem is the belt is routed wrong, if it were a electrical problem it would happen all the time.
But because it only happens at warm idle that tells me your belt is wrong, it can look right and still be wrong.
When it is on wrong the alternator will turn to slow at idle to charge the battery and the battery light will come on.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

All good information as for your charging system, might just go by a local parts store and have them test the charging system for free.
As for your truck, sounds like it is in dire need of some attention, tune up, plug, 8 mm plug wires, cap/rotor and points. This will help in how it performs, how about the rest of your trucks fluids bearings and all those important items.

Quick Reply: Baterry light almost on