Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bike Rack of Choice - 4 Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yakima swing-a-way, with the cradles and a master lock. I had a max of 4 bikes on it. You will need to get the sway lock to keep it from rocking back and forth.....

I am a dummy....I sold mine when I sold my first D1.....the whole assembly cost a ton...

Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Buy a small utility trailer with a wood floor.
Bolt down those bike holder things to the floor, walk the bikes in, strap them in and go, they will be standing up and not touching each other.
You can buy the trailer cheaper than the swing-a-way bike rack and the extension which will lower the weight the carrier can handle because it will be to far from its main support.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
Buy a small utility trailer with a wood floor.
Bolt down those bike holder things to the floor, walk the bikes in, strap them in and go, they will be standing up and not touching each other.
You can buy the trailer cheaper than the swing-a-way bike rack and the extension which will lower the weight the carrier can handle because it will be to far from its main support.
True...you can get an inexpensive Harbor Freight special, for under 300 bones.

**Speed limited to 65mph**.....blah....

Old 02-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
True...you can get an inexpensive Harbor Freight special, for under 300 bones.

**Speed limited to 65mph**.....blah....
Exactly!!
Put some "Bearing Buddy's" on it, grease them up good before every trip and you will be good to go.
Those small tires are turning twice as face as the tires on your tow vehicle so they need alittle more attention, but with bearing buddies it takes 2 min before the trip to grease them with the grease gun.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't fit one more thing bigger than a power tool on my property. Mostly I need to drive one hour so I'm going for the trailer hitch 4 bike. I'd prefer a middle of the road one and not the ultimate carrier as it's gonna spend a lot of time in my studio....but it should work good those few times I do use it..

So I guess either the

Yakima $224
Thule $200
(amazon pricing today)
plus bits..
-probably need an extension to pass the spare (6")
-did someone say anti-sway

I don't want them touching or clanging. I have plenty of road/trail wear but letting them clank around on the back isn't good for me.

Next project will be to find a streamlined clip or something to hold 4'x8' panels on the roof.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You should find one fully kitted used one on craigslist for around $150 or so......

I don't recall that I needed an extension, just the anti-sway.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

In my last minute quest for a bike rack, I could not find a used swing-aways. Well I did, but the ones I found had the locks on them....and the owner(s) lost their key..... I definitely do not have the time to deal with that....

I looked around at my local shops, but they are on order only basis....

Gave up and went to Walmart with my wife to pick up household stuff. I strolled into the bicycle area and found a rack made by Allan Sports(?). The model is the 542rr, which is a hitch mount, tilt down. I pulled out my dumbphone and found a vid on youboob. It looked pretty decent, but not sure it will fold down enough to clear the door. I couldn't find the price, so the lady there scanned it....$99! i threw that thing in the cart. As long as the door opens up enough, then I should be good.

I need it for next week....so, if I grow to not like it...I can return it...win...win..........we will see...