Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Block Tester Kit - Who has done it and what was your result?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 12:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block Tester Kit - Who has done it and what was your result?

Has anyone utilized the kit below to pressure test their block? Or done your own test? I plan to administer this test prior to installing a set of new headgaskets just to prove to myself the engine is worth saving. Current plan is to use an air compressor to pressurize and then let it sit overnight to see if it leaks.

https://www.motorcarsltd.com/block.tester.html

Old 02-01-2019, 10:51 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow that is serious. Using a tester from Napa or Harbor Freight seems like a much easier, and holy moly cheaper, way to test. I didn't use a pressure tester when I checked mine. I used the liquid that detects combustion gases in your coolant. I suppose that pressure testing is a bit more of a sure thing... If your worried about having a slipped liner or cracked block there is no better way to figure that out then by pulling the motor and tearing it down. I rebuilt my motor and it had a hard life. First sold in Southern CA then soccer-mommyied in traffic with sparse oil changes and lots of sludge for who knows how long until an additive happy 20 year old got a hold of it and drove it like it was a hot rod. I would check the coolant for gases before anything else and if you aren't having any symptoms of a blown head gasket, slipped liner or cracked block I say rebuild it. I didn't even do top hat liners on my rebuild (cause I'm poor) cause the block was in good shape. Gosh dang those cam bearings though... And the result of my test was no color change, my coolant was clean.