Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Body lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
What I am referring to is Offroad. Tweak that suspension over a rather large boulder and see if that statement still holds true.

All of my mods are geared for Colorado offroad use. My truck is not supposed to be a commuter truck.
What does this mean^^^^^^^?

All I said was you can go up to 3" and some people even 4" SUSPENSION lift before driveline mods, radius arms etc etc must be changed. Personally I have a 2" lift and want 1 more inch of body lift.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:22 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A 1-2" body lift will not compromise the capabilities of the vehicle. On or off road. Regardless of vehicle make. Body lifts are not suspension lifts are not body lifts. They each have a definite job/purpose and one cannot do the job the other was designed to do. Some people go with a bigger suspension lift to avoid a body lift, however, it is not the same thing. I personally think that some vehicles look better with a body lift over stock, and some don't. I haven't seen enough pics of Discos with body lifts next to stock Discos to decide for myself.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a RTE 2" body lift (in addition to 1 1/2-2" OME lift from their springs) and it doesn't affect stability as much as a 3-4" suspension only lift would.
A body lift won't raise the COG as much as an equivalent suspension lift will.

For suspension lifts it's on road where problems really occur when going near 3".

Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Three Wheeling

if you're planning on running 35" tires you'll still have to mod your entire driveline to handle them. the rule of thumb around here is stock axles won't handle anything over 33"......even then I'm sure if you have open differentials a 33" tire spinning that suddenly gets traction would grenade those parts also. I'm not knocking the body lift idea, just your reasoning for getting gone. I've seen pictures of a bunch of Discos that are running 35" tires on 3" lifts and cut fenders. Disco 1 has some small fender openings and if your going to run anything larger than a 31" tire you'll need to so some pretty good trimming for full offroad articulation.

advntrjnky

Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by AKdisco

All I said was you can go up to 3" and some people even 4" SUSPENSION lift before driveline mods, radius arms etc etc must be changed. Personally I have a 2" lift and want 1 more inch of body lift.
I want to see a 4" lift with no other mods. I have a 2" lift and my caster is off by 3*.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by bmxermike
I want to see a 4" lift with no other mods. I have a 2" lift and my caster is off by 3*.
He didn't say they drove worth a damn, just that they had no other modifications.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by antichrist
He didn't say they drove worth a damn, just that they had no other modifications.
BINGO!!. I do know a guy with 4" of suspension lift and while he says the handling isnt like it was stock its decent and he doesnt mind it. He doesnt commute in the damn thing but he'll drive 75 miles to a trail or campsite with no issues.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by AKdisco
What does this mean^^^^^^^?

I would like to see that offroad. I have removed both my rear driveshaft and seen the tolerance of the front driveshaft and they do not have that much travel allowance. My point is you get into sketchy territory when you perform a suspension lift and a body lift esp when adding larger tires. Our internals on the axles are not the greatest hence the reason I am working on building better axles for my rig.

For those who want to do a body lift, more power to you! What I would like to see is a report on how hard it was and what the pitfalls of the lift have been. IE after the fact concerns you have run into.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Baja

The body lift was trivial. The only difficulty I ran in to was the rear left bolt was rusted and I had to cut it out since I couldn't undo the nut.

I installed it around 2004 or so and no issues/concerns so far.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, 35's are pretty big tires, Whats the biggest i could run without having to worry about regearing? 32"-33"? I was told that with a 2" OME suspension lift you could do a 2" body lift without having to worry about any issues with brake lines, driveshafts or anything of the sort.

Quick Reply: Body lift