Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Boost Gauge Installed - Photos and Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Gauge Installed - Photos and Question

Per my signature. I have a '95 disco 200tdi. I just installed a VDO boost gauge ($30/amazon) low on the center console, and drilled/tapped into the intake manifold.
So far, i really like it. I'm waiting for my green light bulb covers so i can wire up the light on the gauge to match the rest of the vehicle.

This may be a question for the Defender area, since there are more tdi's there, but i am only getting a max of 10 psi. That is flooring it at about 3,800 rpm.

From what i've read, 15 psi is ideal, and what most people get. But most people seem to Tee into the rubber hose at the turbo/wastegate rather than drill/tap the intake. I wanted to know the boost at the engine, feeling it is more accurate, and more useful if i change up intercoolers in the future, etc. to see what change it is making.

Any thoughts? Does the intake pipe and intercooler reduce boost pressure as much as 5 psi?

cheers.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11766...COGo55yzu-e_dg

Last edited by Boultman; 02-19-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Not many diesel owners on this forum, may want to look at some of the UK sites. We would buy diesels, but the sales weasel department keeps pushing petrol at us.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Drifting

I guess i should register with one of the UK forums.
Should i try posting in Defender?

Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You're better off with a UK forum, TDI's are the norm over there, rare here in the States.
I do think your boost adapter is to close to the end and you are reading the PSI drop as it opens up into the intake from the more restricted intake tube.
I think you need to read boost at the turbo.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lets trade, I have a 95 disco. Its running fine. I'm close to clear lake.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Drifting

Same color and everything! You can probably talk me into trading wheels and tires. I plan to blast, prime and paint my wheels black eventually. I'll wait until i need new rubber.
Everything works perfect on my Rover. Runs perfect. I'm just wondering about input pressures. I'm going to crank up the fuel pump and see what happens; now that i can objectively see changes via the boost gauge.
Sam95disco, any good offroading areas around here? I took mine to San Luis pass which was nice. But wondering if any good land in Clear Lake area?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you have the EDC (electronic diesel control) which manages the fuel injection and other things, won't it try to keep things within factory boundaries even as you bump up the pressure? It controls fuel delivery. It may just compensate by reducing other variables if you just add boost. Perhaps there are other components to modify as well. Of course, not all have te EDC system.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Boultman
Same color and everything! You can probably talk me into trading wheels and tires. I plan to blast, prime and paint my wheels black eventually. I'll wait until i need new rubber.
Everything works perfect on my Rover. Runs perfect. I'm just wondering about input pressures. I'm going to crank up the fuel pump and see what happens; now that i can objectively see changes via the boost gauge.
Sam95disco, any good offroading areas around here? I took mine to San Luis pass which was nice. But wondering if any good land in Clear Lake area?
I hate san luis too much sand, pelican island out but seawolf park is sweet. But last time my bro took his titan out some damn fool can down the road blowing his horn(it was dark). I think that partof the island got bought. We came out and passed him window to window and he didnt' say anything. Before it was a flounder fishing spot and only 4x4 could get you in. Now they got some gate with a camera at the road entrance . We're going to try it at daytime, you take 45s exit harborside dr, make a left at pelican island causeway. Once you pass bradner st the next one is haliburton rd, you'll see an opening to your left(no signs if they say something). Have a buddy with another 4x4 go with you just incase someone gets stuck. I'm still looking for a better place. But once I get my ko's I'm going to hit up the island.

Just saw your car line up, my bro has a 4x4 08 titan and a 87 porsche 924s.

Last edited by Sam95disco; 02-19-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Drifting

I'll have to try that place out. My titan is just a work truck i keep at my business, non 4x4.
The 911 MAY be for sale soon. New addition to the family coming this monday!

The 200tdi has no engine management or electronics. Everything is mechanical, and basically needs one wire to run. It will cruise 70-75 mph no problem, and i got 25.2 mpg's on my last tank of diesel, mixed driving. I plan to take it from here (coastal texas) to Ouray/Telluride, CO this summer and want everything tip top. Sure could use a little extra HP going up and over those passes. Though, i have no problem putting it in 3rd and sitting in the right lane...

Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Boultman
I'll have to try that place out. My titan is just a work truck i keep at my business, non 4x4.
The 911 MAY be for sale soon. New addition to the family coming this monday!

The 200tdi has no engine management or electronics. Everything is mechanical, and basically needs one wire to run. It will cruise 70-75 mph no problem, and i got 25.2 mpg's on my last tank of diesel, mixed driving. I plan to take it from here (coastal texas) to Ouray/Telluride, CO this summer and want everything tip top. Sure could use a little extra HP going up and over those passes. Though, i have no problem putting it in 3rd and sitting in the right lane...
How,where and how much did you get a tdi rover?

Post pictures of the 911, old ones are sweet.

Quick Reply: Boost Gauge Installed - Photos and Question