Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brake Failure Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Failure Question

So I have a 97 LSE that ended up sitting in my driveway for a few months as a result of various issues. The last time it has been actually driven (not just started in the driveway to maintain the battery) was last fall. Towards the beginning of this summer I discovered the brake pedal goes to the floor. There are no obvious brake fluid leaks and the reservoir is full. I'd replaced the master cylinder probably 4 years ago, so I'm wondering if my aftermarket part is shot? I bought it from one of the "reputable" online Rover places, but can't remember which one. At the same time I also replaced all the lines with the braided steel ones.

In short, where should I begin with this? Just wanted some thoughts before I start buying new parts. The master cylinder is the obvious culprit if no fluid is being pumped, but could the brake booster be an issue?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The brake booster is just that, a booster. It will only boost when the engine is running and even then it shouldn't have anything to do with the pedal going to the floor. If it were me I would start by bleeding the brakes at the rear passenger side wheel. That will tell you if it is pumping. I suppose there is a chance the cylinder is jammed in the master but start with a classic bleed and see what happens. If there is no fluid squirting out at all then I would say the master cylinder is probably stuck but it seems a weird problem to have for just sitting for a few months.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunkgringo
The brake booster is just that, a booster. It will only boost when the engine is running and even then it shouldn't have anything to do with the pedal going to the floor. If it were me I would start by bleeding the brakes at the rear passenger side wheel. That will tell you if it is pumping. I suppose there is a chance the cylinder is jammed in the master but start with a classic bleed and see what happens. If there is no fluid squirting out at all then I would say the master cylinder is probably stuck but it seems a weird problem to have for just sitting for a few months.
Thanks! It is rather strange, cause the last time I drove it there were no issues with the brakes. I'll start with bleeding them.