Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

brake issue..lack of stopping

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake issue..lack of stopping

Hi all - had quite a scare today. Driving home in stop and go traffic and I started smelling hot brake fluid. Didnt even consider it was me as I havent had any problems with the brakes at all and they didnt seem to be dragging. Shortly there after the brakes began to fade to the point of full pedal with absolutely no stopping power. Nursed it home using the ebrake and did not see anything out of the ordinary. I went to each corner and felt the rim,nothing felt hot and there were no leaks. Once it cooled off the brakes seemed to return although the pedal traveled much further than normal. Booster seems fine with no obvious vacuum leaks so my gut tells me this is a master cylinder problem. Anyone else tend to agree or is there something someone more experienced can share? Kind of a head scratcher as this came on all of a sudden with no warning whatsoever.

Thanks, Keith

Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you change the master cylinder with an aftermarket? There are several posts on the incompatibility of these.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the D1 for a year and never replaced the MC. I've changed all the pads but never any of the hydraulics. It looks like it could be original to the car but I have no history. When this first happened I thought for sure it was the MC but after it cooled off and the brakes returned somewhat, I was'nt as sure any more. Seems like if the MC blew a seal or was letting fluid pass it would fault when the system was cool as well....

Old 05-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Any fluid left in the MC? The front drivers side brake line usually fails from road debris hitting it directly and fails. Look at back of fender well. You smelled fluid, has to be leaking.