Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brake Pedal Goes to Floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Brake Pedal Goes to Floor

So I drove my D1 about 70 miles today, did some wheeling too. No issues whatsoever. I've been needing to change my front brake pads so I did so when I got home. I finished the front driver side brakes then went to pump the pedal to bring the fluid level down a bit from pushing the caliper back in. But the pedal just goes to the floor. Makes a squeak too if I pump it fast. I tried to see if I could bleed the caliper and barely any fluid came out. Do I have a bad caliper? If I do, what should I buy? Rebuild the current one, buy a rebuilt one, buy a brand new one? Should I replace both front calipers?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sounds like you got air in the line and soon to be bad caliper - or its just clogged with crap as mine was and was nearly seized.
NAPA has good reman'd calipers - I know this after having one from advanced auto leak and ruin my brand new rotor and pads.

I would also check your brake lines where the coupler is - just under the drivers footwell. - I had mine fail on me - replaced all of those too.

should you do rotors too - check Rockauto - they had Brembro on fire sale for a while - like $25 ridiculously cheap

I would do both calipers (if not pads and rotors too) at the same time.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by whiskeynipple0088
sounds like you got air in the line and soon to be bad caliper - or its just clogged with crap as mine was and was nearly seized.
NAPA has good reman'd calipers - I know this after having one from advanced auto leak and ruin my brand new rotor and pads.

I would also check your brake lines where the coupler is - just under the drivers footwell. - I had mine fail on me - replaced all of those too.

should you do rotors too - check Rockauto - they had Brembro on fire sale for a while - like $25 ridiculously cheap

I would do both calipers (if not pads and rotors too) at the same time.
Brake lines look good so I'm not worried about that.

Not sure how air would get in the system but I guess its through the bad caliper. Just ordered 2 reman ones from Summit. $47 each with a $45 core charge.

Rockauto ran out of the front brembos, called to make sure. Only had the rears left. Would've bought the front ones if they still had them.

Also, after looking everything over a little more, the master cylinder looks fairly new, maybe 2 or 3 years old. Front wheel bearings are toast, good amount of play in the wheels. Rear seems ok. Don't think this should mess with the brake pedal feel that much (when not moving) but still worth mentioning. So 2 wheel bearing kits are on order as well.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Rock Crawling

ok hold up - your D1 is a 1999 - correct? They changed models mid year - double check part numbers but I think you may want to be looking for parts for a 98 on rockauto - or in general to reduce the risk of getting D2 parts.

i just checked rockauto Brembro 25142 are in stock
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...hub,rotor,1896
I just put these exact rotors on my truck 6 months ago

- I would recommend taking the time to clean the inside of brake cover of collected grim/grease while you have the rotor/hub assembly off

not sure if you have air or not but its usually air or a leak

Old 07-10-2017, 04:48 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

IMHO good luck with the A1-Cardone rebuilt calipers. They never replace the channel seal, and 9 time out of 10 just sandblast the front of the pistons. Then just cover everything in paint. Also look at the 2 seals and the metal ring. You can find the wiper seal folded and the metal ring bent. This company does 1/2 A$$ work at best.

For my money, unless I'm going to do the rebuilding (especially a brake caliper), I'm NOT buying rebuilt anything. Remember a rebuild is ONLY as good as the CORE and the quality of parts used/installed.
When you get the calipers inspect them really well and save your receipt. Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Rock Crawling

for what its worth - this is a shot of one of the rear calipers I have to put on my D1 from napa
appears to be reused piston with new seal, can tell they are painted prior to joining halves - fronts were the same.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Pedal Goes to Floor-img_1003.jpg   Brake Pedal Goes to Floor-img_1004.jpg  

Last edited by whiskeynipple0088; 07-10-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:41 PM
TReK

for what its worth - this is a shot of one of the rear calipers I have to put on my D1 from napa
appears to be reused piston with new seal, can tell they are painted prior to joining halves - fronts were the same.
I think you are proving my point re: reman/rebuilt junk. They reuse as much as they can, paint the part pretty, and for about $50 retail the price seems good. IMHO, total B$!

You can rebuild that rear caliper for $25-$30 in parts including new pistons and 30 minutes of bench time. The front caliper parts are about the same price. Again it's just my opinion, but I don't trust a part to be rebuilt to proper spec unless I do it. It's just too easy for companies to do a "cost effective" crappy job. And please don't get me started on the B$ warranties they offer.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:54 PM
Rock Crawling

just trying to give an observation of parts I have used, for comparison.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:03 PM
TReK

just trying to give an observation of parts I have used, for comparison.

No worries, I think my post, or maybe it's a rant, was directed at the rebuilders. I have seen so many (and the list is long) put out garbage product it just drives me nuts. Especially when the part is a brake component!

Old 07-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Rock Crawling

no.... I get it - theres tones of crap out there, thats why I was like - hey these are decent from my experience.

Quick Reply: Brake Pedal Goes to Floor