Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brake Vent -Lock Sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Vent -Lock Sleeve

Guy's

Before I start no Puns are intended....

Yesterday I changed out my C-Control tubing on my 98 Disco. I didn't touch anything else (so I think) during the replacement.

I replaced the tubing (using AB's CC Kit) due to intermintant CC operation because of cracks in the OEM tubing. I had lots of HVAC tape holding it together ;-/

Now when I operate the CC I get nothing.....I've since checked the Fuse, Pump and all wiring and I'm good alround.

I'm looking a the Rave (see Attached) and I noticed this lock sleeve on the Bake vent shaft needs to be in the proper postion---Anyone know what the proper Postion is during normal Operation? OR if anyone has a working CC; can you check the postion of yours sleeve on the shaft?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cc Brake vent switch.pdf (56.4 KB, 112 views)
Old 12-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Self correcting after this step.

Crawl up under there and depress your pedal by hand. With the switch assembly securely mounted in **** bracket... simply pull the plunger forward...ligltly. You should feel it extend through a small sereis of slight clicks. When it is fully extended you can now release the pedal. The contact with the pedal will depress the plunger and it will "automatically" set itslef to the proper position in relation to the pedal arm.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Cosmic88 sounds good---

Q:Should I slide the lock sleeve all the way out on the shaft first (as shown in the RAVE)? then complete the reset steps your talkn about, then slide the sleeve back in on the shaft after reset?

BTW- Now I know why the the RAVE couldn't explain this in writing.....Shaft, ****....More reasons why this forum is so helpful.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Winching
Default HA!

A: to your Q: ... yes.

Just spotted my typo and for the sake of levity... I'll pretend like it is not there.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ha ha. I read that and ran out looking for the bracket..... didn't find it though.....=(

Old 12-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Talking Wrong Vehicle

okdiscoguy- you where checking the wrong vehicle.....you needed to check under your VW cabriolet...for that bracket....OHHH...(Say like Andrew Dice)

Sorry had to do it. Although I really thought I'd hear it for the "Proper Position" during normal Operation.

Seriously though... I searched this forum & Binged this issue before I posted and couldn't find anything. However there are alot of posts on the CC that never really get resovled and nothing is discussed about this sensor reset. Maybe others should check for the Shaft and Brackets since the RAVE doesn't explain the reset procedure.

Last edited by Jrock; 12-10-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Winching

is your cc system working now?

Old 12-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Default On Hold

Won't know until I get home from work today and mess around with it. I have the Disco in the garage, changing out the entire exhaust tonight/tomorrow. then dealing with minor fixers.

I think this is the problem however. when I took off the hose I remember I really man handled that sensor to pull off the OEM hose and mostlikely depressed it. And like I said, I tested/checked everything else electrically.

I even- as a last ditch effort.....ahm(can't believe Im going to write this)...Manually verified the hoses worked, no leaks and the bladder pulled in.

I will follow up no matter what. Thanks

Old 12-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Default follow-up

Well I finished the Exhaust install (all good BTW) and moved back to resetting the brake vent sleeve for the CC. Tried out the CC last night and NOTHING.......

The light comes on the switch, I can hear the relay click when I engage and dis-engage the CC from the steering wheel controls. Not sure were to look next?

I'm going to try and reset the sleeve again tonight and give it another run.

Any other thoughts out there???

Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrock
I even- as a last ditch effort.....ahm(can't believe Im going to write this)...Manually verified the hoses worked, no leaks and the bladder pulled in.
if you tested it manually with your mouth I hope you remembered to suck and not blow!

sorry just trying to keep this topic moving in the right direction. anyways I thought I broke something on that brake vent switch so I simply held the hose in hand and drove a bit, then I just "plugged the hole with my finger" to see if the CC worked and it did, that may help determine if that is the problem, if not then I used a write up to determine if the CC ECU was bad. My CC ECU was bad when I first got the truck.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...cruise+control

this procedure will test all the components (switches and vacuum) of the system to determine if the ECU is good or not by process of elimination.

Quick Reply: Brake Vent -Lock Sleeve