Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brakes and Putting into Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 02:15 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes and Putting into Gear

Has anyone had a problem with the rear brake pad unseating itself and rubbing on the hub? I have one that is ok for a week or so, then turns in the caliper and rubs on the hub. What did you do to fix it?

Also having a problem with it not wanting to shift out of park. I've tried researching it online (I do not have a manual) and haven't found anything. Is there a brake safety switch in the brake pedal to keep it from shifting if the brake pedal is not depressed, that could be going bad?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by mxmom99; 09-03-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mxmom99
Has anyone had a problem with the rear brake pad unseating itself and rubbing on the rotor? What did you do to fix it?

It's normal for the pads to remain in slight contact with the rotor.

Also having a problem with it not wanting to shift out of park. I've tried researching it online (I do not have a manual) and haven't found anything. Is there a brake safety switch in the brake pedal to keep it from shifting if the brake pedal is not depressed, that could be going bad?

You may have some transmission linkage binding up due to misalignment, loose bolts, or possibly even corrosion.

You can find the manual here.

Any help is appreciated!
Responses in RED above.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:37 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by june82000
Responses in RED above.

Sorry, I meant the pad is turning slightly and rubbing on the hub and squealing. Its like it is not fitting tight in the caliper; not staying seated.

And thanks for the manual!

Old 09-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mxmom99
Sorry, I meant the pad is turning slightly and rubbing on the hub and squealing. Its like it is not fitting tight in the caliper; not staying seated.

And thanks for the manual!
You're welcome. When you press down on the brake pedal does the pad still move around?

Old 09-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Caliper casting is worn. The pads sit on two small ledges (front and back of inner caliper) and when they wear (square edges become round) the pad can tilt. Check the pin through the pads too.

Check your rear brake lights, see if they come on. If not you won't ever move the shifter out of Park. Find out why the lights are not coming on. The lever is being held in Park by a Shift Interlock Solenoid and it's a safety device.......

The Service Manual was the only good info Borat gave while increasing his post count and not experience level.

The following users liked this post:
mxmom99 (09-03-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
The Service Manual was the only good info Borat gave while increasing his post count and not experience level.
Wow, what's your problem? I don't claim to know everything, just giving the op some ideas and things to look for. Perhaps you are taking these forums a little to seriously if you think I'm just here to "increase my post count". For your information, I have plenty of experience and have no problem keeping all of my vehicles running on my own. I have yet to see brake pads rotate in a caliper so I'm guessing it's a poor design; much like your attitude sir.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

If that brake pad locks into the rotor (and it eventually will if left alone) it'll cause the rear wheel to lock up. That's a serious a problem, I could care less about feelings. It's not a poor design, it's an old caliper.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:25 AM
7th Gear

I was afraid it was a worn out caliper.

The shifting problem has just started as well and isn't every time. The Shift Interlock Solenoid, is that near the gear shift or the brake? And would you know if that is available at any parts store or a dealer item?

Old 09-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If it's the brake switch, they are combined and yes, you can get them at NAPA, probably other parts stores as well.
I believe it's AC Delco PN E892A.
Advance Auto has the Intermotor brand, SL72001, for $20.

If it's the switch it's above the pedal arm. If it's the solenoid, it's on the transmission.

X2 two on the worn caliper.
I've done temporary fixes by welding a bit more metal on the edge of the plate the pad is mounted to then shaping it with a grinder. But that was temporary to get on the road. I replaced the calipers at the next brake job.

ah, here's a post that will tell you how to verify if it's the switch or the solenoid.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...91/#post359350

Last edited by antichrist; 09-03-2015 at 03:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mxmom99 (09-03-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 03:28 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by antichrist
If it's the brake switch, they are combined and yes, you can get them at NAPA, probably other parts stores as well.
I believe it's AC Delco PN E892A.
Advance Auto has the Intermotor brand, SL72001, for $20.

If it's the switch it's above the pedal arm. If it's the solenoid, it's on the transmission.

X2 two on the worn caliper.
I've done temporary fixes by welding a bit more metal on the edge of the plate the pad is mounted to then shaping it with a grinder. But that was temporary to get on the road. I replaced the calipers at the next brake job.

ah, here's a post that will tell you how to verify if it's the switch or the solenoid.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...91/#post359350
I was thinking of welding a bit on there to keep it from falling through. After looking up caliper prices, they aren't as bad as I thought they'd be. And thanks so much for the help, looks like I can get this fixed over the weekend (my daughter's car, coming home for the weekend from college ) if parts are in stock.

Quick Reply: Brakes and Putting into Gear