Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes and rotors

.98 discovery

Upon inspection I noticed that my rear rotors are beginning to groove. Im under the impression that it's time for new pads all the way around but i must admit im a little intimidated by the whole process. Im planning on having my fairly car savvy neighbor do the work for me but plan on buying the brakes and rotors myself. Here is where im a bit clueless! could anyone steer me in the direction of some fairly decent priced kits that i could order? I dont need anything overkill, just something thats quality and would last. Is this something i would be better off picking up from the local parts store or odering from a site like AB? thanks for your help guys!!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Akebono brakes. Google them. Great brake pads and rotors. Moderate price range but they hold up well. DiscoMike uses them and steered me toward them. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Drifting

thanks for the advice medic. I found this - http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9985F.cfm on AB but was kind of stuck on how cheap the whole kit is. Is it not that great of quality?

Old 07-31-2010, 12:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nickd503
thanks for the advice medic. I found this - http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9985F.cfm on AB but was kind of stuck on how cheap the whole kit is. Is it not that great of quality?

For a basic, no frills brake job, that kit is just fine. And includes everything you'll need in one package.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

X2. It will work fine for a basic job. The reason I suggested the other is because they will last a little longer, and produce little to no dust. They also sale the dippled/slotted rotors for a great price. You can get them in sets for about 150 for the front and 150 for the back. But then you still have to buy the pads as well so I understand the cost factor. Believe me, I have to disco on a budget also. Are the front rotors bad also or just the rear? If you just need rear rotors and pads all around you could probably go with the nicer rotors and pads for about the same price or 50 bucks more than the AB kit. But if you have to do rotors all the way around then AB is probably the better bet for a budget brake job. BTW everything I was suggesting can be purchased from www.autopartswarehouse.com

Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 PM
Drifting

It's actually just the rear rotors and pads all the way around that need to be done. I've found a decent kit for the fodora rear rotors w/ pads but can't for the life of me find a set of front fodora pads. Would it be the end of the world to run with different pads on the front?

Old 07-31-2010, 08:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Wouldn't hurt anything. I'm running drilled/slotted f/r rotors($175 all 4 off e-bay) with c-tek front pads and autozone rear pads.

Don't use autozone pads on the front, they make ALOT of dust.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am using AutoZone pads on all fours and no dust so far, been a month or so.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Maybe it's the way I drive

Old 08-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll throw in my two cents worth. Before you buy, check out Rover's North website. I look at ther webpage and usually call them at the same time so I can ask any questions. They are very helpful. Especially Les and Rob.

I used their Pro Line rotors when I did mine. I did one axle at a time, but I used their package deal, rotors and pads were roughly 100 bucks an axle. I also used the ProLine calipers as I replaced my rear calipers as well when I did the rear axle. f memory serves me correctly, the pads were Mintex.

Also get the fittig kits, which inclde new springs, clips, etc. I also bought new caliper mounting bolts as well. I prefer to ave all new mounting hardware when I do something on mine, since it was manufactured in 96, I dont reuse mounting bolts, nuts, and such if I can get new. Buy PB blaster in bulk and use it liberally on the nuts and bolts.

Also, when doing the brakes on a Discovery, you must remove the hubs to ge the rotors off. So make sure you get all the parts and piees required for the hub removal/ renewal. That means bearings, lock washers, hub seals possibly lock nuts. There is large lock nut that has to be removed as part of that process. So you need the special adapter ( I think it is 32mm).

You will need to either clean and repack your wheel bearings or possibly replace them. So you will need wheel bearing grease. I used the Lucas Red heavy duty grease. And there is also a paper gasket for re-assembly.

Download the RAVE, print the associated pages to use as a work order. There are also a lot of other threads in the archivs as well as write-ups on other sites, so make sure you go into it well prepared or you will wind up needing that one part that you just did not realize you needed.

Be prepared with all new parts, it's a breeze. Jump in ill-prepared, itwill take several days while you wait for something.

Quick Reply: brakes and rotors