Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Broken Regulator - Replaced, but door panel moves slightly

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Regulator - Replaced, but door panel moves slightly

I am excited to jump back into the forum. I just picked up a '97 Disco with 148K miles. Going to be my project car so I can build this thing up and get it off-road, where it should be

Anyway, 2 weeks after owning it, I rolled down the drivers window like I have done multiple times and then "Pop!" Window wouldn't roll back up. I heard the motor still engaging, so I was confident it was the regulator. I have since replaced the regulator, but before I put the vapor barrier and panel back on, I want to make sure what I am seeing is correct. Hoping someone here has seen enough of these to know if I need to realign the motor to the regulator.

The window rolls up and down without issue. When I roll the window up, right at the last 1 cm or so, i notice the metal door panel where the regulator/motor section bolts to, pushes out close to 1/3". Is this right?

Thanks for any insight! I am sure I'll be posting a lot more questions as I look to get lockers, new gearing, lift, driveshafts, etc.

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2012, 04:09 PM
4wd Low

I'm a noob and my '96 Disco is the first time that I've ever had to do car work. I had the exact same problem with my driver's window. My motor still hums when I push the switch so I, too, am assuming it's the regulator. Nobody else has posted an answer...so if you've put your door/window back together, let me know how it turned out. Thanks!

Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BD_LR4
i notice the metal door panel where the regulator/motor section bolts to, pushes out close to 1/3". Is this right?
I don't get it. The door panel can't move. It's part of the door. The motor should not move away from the regulator or door. If it does it's loose.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
I don't get it. The door panel can't move. It's part of the door. The motor should not move away from the regulator or door. If it does it's loose.
Sorry - should have been more clear. The metal part of the door, right where the regulator and motor bolt to, is what moves, not the panel (interior trim). What appears to happen is once the window is rolled up to the top, there is just enough torque left to cause the metal to push out ever so slightly.

I actually took the vehicle in to have a mechanic check my work and he said this was normal.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:19 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by abn632
I'm a noob and my '96 Disco is the first time that I've ever had to do car work. I had the exact same problem with my driver's window. My motor still hums when I push the switch so I, too, am assuming it's the regulator. Nobody else has posted an answer...so if you've put your door/window back together, let me know how it turned out. Thanks!
I do have it back together and yes it was the regulator. The plastic wheels are apparently flimsy and break easily. I have done some searching and it looks like someone has crafted a metal roller that can be put on, but I only discovered this after I spent nearly $200 for a new regulator.

It is actually fairly straightforward, but it took me quite awhile as I am meticulous about taking apart and trying not to break anything else. The one sticking point for me was actually removing the regulator. There are 2 bolts which need to be loosened, then the assembly will come out.

I'll try and post some picks highlighting the areas before I put the panel back on.