Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Busted My Brake Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Busted My Brake Pipe

Yesterday I was heading to the gym before going out with the GF and as I was backing up out of my driveway I heard a thud sound underneath Claire. I slammed my brakes and freaked because I was jamming to Drake and I thought I had backed into a car or something. I finally got out and didn't see anything so I was relieved. I kept driving a little down the road and I felt my brake pedal get a little spongy. Turned Claire around and headed straight back home. As I stopped behind my house my brake pedal went straight to the floor. It was around 6 oclock so it was dark. Parked her and waited to look this morning. Well I press on the pedal with the wheels removed on the front and I see a leak. The brake pipe was bent and busted by whatever decided to cross my British Vehicle Path haha. Anyways here are some pics:

Where my finger is: there is a spew of brake fluid whenever I press on the pedal. Not a major crack but a crack none the less.

I guess I should replace all of the pipes at once huh? These are all originals and have never been replaced as far as I can tell. Guess I can buy my SS Brake Hoses too now

Questions: Anybody know of a way to get these cheaper than $100? I found them at AB for $100 and less.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, make your own.
You need an ISO bubble flaring kit.
This is the one I have
OTC Tools 4504 - OTC Stinger Bubble Flaring Tool Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Amazon has it for $18 or so.
You can spend several hundred on them also.

A bending tool will be of help also. I have this one and it works great.
Eastwood Brake Line Forming Tool Pliers - Brake Line Bender - Brake Tubing Forming Pliers

For line you can get 25' copper clad steel at NAPA. For fittings you can reuse your old ones if they are in good shape, or order new from Fedhill. Fedhill sells copper/nickel alloy line also.

Do NOT use plain soft copper tubing. Vibration will make it brittle.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is NOT the stainless steel brake lines that you need, those replace the rubber brake lines.
You need this...Brake Pipe Right Front Hose To Caliper | Brake Parts for Land Rover & Range Rover (or the other one, depending on which side is broken)

Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
It is NOT the stainless steel brake lines that you need, those replace the rubber brake lines.
You need this...Brake Pipe Right Front Hose To Caliper | Brake Parts for Land Rover & Range Rover (or the other one, depending on which side is broken)
Those prebent lines are such a rip off. Go to your local auto store and buy a 3/16" Bubble flare line in about a 15" length. Should run you about $3.00, seriously. Bend it yourself by hand, just be careful not to link it.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got both front brake pipes from Rovers North for like 13 bucks each. I do plan on following Tom's advice and getting the flaring and bending tools as I will need to replace the rest of the longer brake lines soon. The long ones going to the rear look like hell.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 12-26-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Those prebent lines are such a rip off. Go to your local auto store and buy a 3/16" Bubble flare line in about a 15" length. Should run you about $3.00, seriously. Bend it yourself by hand, just be careful not to link it.
I'm not saying he needs to buy those, what I am saying is that he was looking up the wrong part and that "this is what it looks like"

Old 12-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Pro Wrench

Okay thanks guys I ordered the flaring kit and bender on amazon. I'll get this done next year haha I'm going to New Mexico to snowboard. And thanks I was wondering what size piping to buy bc I hadnt measured yet :P

Last edited by calebbo; 12-22-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Pro Wrench

RN charges about $140 for the line, Danny IDK how you get those kinds of deals man!
And another question, wouldn't I use a metric sized pipe instead of a 3/16? I mean wasn't that the whole point of getting the metric iso bubble flare kit? I'm on Fedhill and I'm not sure which fitting to buy.

Edit: isn't it originally a 4.75mm pipe?
http://store.fedhillusa.com/technica...wtopdfs.aspx#1

Last edited by calebbo; 12-22-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.75mm is 3/16...
the metric v SAE for the fittings refers to the thread pitch on the fitting.

im going through this right now on my other british project, and have grown to hate bubble flare brake fittings haha

just be glad the rover doesnt use male and female bubble flare... finding a way to flare female bubble flare is nearly impossible!

Old 12-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Pro Wrench

Oh haha. I feel dumb

Quick Reply: Busted My Brake Pipe