Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Busted My Brake Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Land Rover Discovery I Brake Pipe Parts and Kits Available from RoversNorth.com

I went and looked at the above page and there is something wrong. They have four listings for rear brake lines and none for the front.

When I bought mine, for whatwever reason, the LR pipe for one side was like 14 bucks but was like 140 for the other side. I had discussed it with Les in sales and they offered to make me a set for like 13 each and that they would start listing their own afterwards instead of selling the ones they were getting from LR. It's been about three years or so since I bought mine. I may even have the receipt in my binder downstairs.

Give them a call and ask about it. I agree the prices they show are high. No reason a short piece of brake line should cost $140. Seriously.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry guys I've been away in NM snowboarding. I just got back to Claire from Dallas the other day. My flare kit and pipe bender came in and I went to NAPA and bought 2 30" 3/16 brake pipes with polymer coating for easier bending. Cut those in half and now I have 4 15" pipes. Instead of using a tube cutter like I was supposed to I tried cutting the old pipe with wire cutters and could not get one fitting off. The new pipe came with a taller/longer fitting will this be okay to use? I still have one of the two old fittings.

edit: just used a pipe and I overshot the length a little from each fitting mate and as I tried to bend it in further so the fittings would go in I kinked it -.-

Last edited by calebbo; 01-04-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:50 PM

First off, with a flaring tool you should basically be buying a roll of the appropriate size tubing, typically in 25 foot length. Instead of buying a pre-flared length like you did. You determine what length you need, cut it with a tubing cutter. Then you place the fittings on in the correct orientation and flare both ends yourself.

Rarely will your first attempt be perfect as far as length, contour, flares and such.

Each bend is going to affect the length. You may not be able to completely shape it to final configuration until you install one end, or you may have to locate it and partially tighten each end then do the final tightening.

Always plan on using a tubing cutter or in an emergency a hacksaw, but never wire cutters or the like. Live and learn.

If you get good at it, with the tools and the tubing in bulk, you could even make up sets and sell them to other forum members man.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 01-05-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

I'm confused why you didn't just buy two 15-20" lengths with bubble flare fittings already on them and just bend them to fit? You would have less than $10 into it and you'd be done. Flaring sucks, and bubble flaring is even worse.
Kids these days.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by fishEH
I'm confused why you didn't just buy two 15-20" lengths with bubble flare fittings already on them and just bend them to fit? You would have less than $10 into it and you'd be done. Flaring sucks, and bubble flaring is even worse.
Kids these days.

If you only need to replace the short ones, that would be the cheapest way to go. Looking at mine, the longer lengths are looking pretty bad, so I would prefer the flaring tools and a roll or two of material. I would not be surprised if most of them are in similar shape.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

With the right tools (like the ones I linked to) making a brake line is trivial.
I find it easiest, as mentioned, for some lines to put the fitting on one end, flare it, install it snug but so the tubing can still rotate in the fitting some, route/bend it correctly, then remove it and cut, attach the fitting and flare.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Pro Wrench

At my local NAPA that was the only 3/16" tubing they had. I cut the pre-flared ends and made my own after placing both fittings on. The fitment is the hard part and I rarely have free time with school and work being back to back. Hopefully I can knock this out right after school today since I have about 2 hours to fix the one line and bleed my brakes. I will definitely try installing one first then getting the other end to install afterwards.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if youre interested in ordering brake parts online, i bought a load of stuff from these guys for the brake project on the rolls royce...
Federal Hill Trading Company
they have 3/16 line and all the british fittings you could want - though the stuff on the rover may not be as obscure as the brit fittings on the rolls.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Pro Wrench

yeah I think I'm going to order new fittings. For now I'm using an old one and the one that came with the pipe when I bought it.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Pro Wrench

can somebody post the link of exactly which fitting I need? I'm looking at the m1-3 10mmx1 fitting. Idk if thats the right one..

Quick Reply: Busted My Brake Pipe