Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

To buy or not to buy, that is the question.. 1998 Disco LSE

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:23 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy, that is the question.. 1998 Disco LSE

I am selling a truck and have a guy interested in trading me his 98 Dico LSE. I am not too familar with Land Rovers and all I have ever heard is that they are very prone to repairs and are expensive to maintain and repair. I know that obviously everyone here is PRO land rover, but what I am wanting to know is what can I expect and what should I really check out/ beware of. I would probably use this on road trips back to colorado and some daily driving as well. The vehicle is in exellent cosmetic condition and the interior is in great shape as well.
Here is the info I have on the vehicle:
1998 land rover 4.0 gems engine auto trans.just serviced.cold ac.very good condishion.very clean.new plugs/ wires.new timing chain gear set.new waterpump.new flowmaster cat back exhaust.optima red top battery.old man emu lift.clean title.110,000 miles

Oh I know fuel economy is not great but does it require premium only?

Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few things first:
A) "I have ever heard is that they are very prone to repairs and are expensive to maintain and repair." That is the stereotypical jeep club saying that.
B ) How mechanical are you? Can you pull an engine, tear it down and put it back in without leaving your house?
C ) I don't spend much money at all on repairs *YES, I have them, I have 2 150k plus trucks, what do you expect* I buy from parts guys on the forum.
D) Honestly can't remember how long its been since I went to the dealer!
E) I drive my rovers to colorado all the time and its like they are "home"

Now for what to look at:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...scovery-21328/
Perhaps this page will help you too:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...section-32402/

Do you have the service records for it? Did they replace the oil pump when they did the timing chain gear set? Records to prove they did it and he is not making it up?
Oh yeah, they require premium, I've ran mine on regular and it runs like total garbage. I think I got 7 miles to a gallon compared to 15 normally. OR whatever is readily available in third world countries if diesel.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:37 PM
6th Gear

Good info! Thanks! I am some what mechanically inclined but not to the point I will be pulling apart a motor any time soon. I do body and paint more then mechanical, but I know my way around a vehicle.

I have always had Chevy's and a couple Fords. But with a baby on the way I am more in need of an SUV/reliable family vehicle now then a show truck so time for her to go. i just don't want to end up with something I am going to spend as much time wrenching on as driving.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you do not have the time or inclination to do all the normal routine maint yourself, and really wanted a family oriented put gas in and go vehicle, I would advise against the LR even though it sounds like a great one for one of us.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
If you do not have the time or inclination to do all the normal routine maint yourself, and really wanted a family oriented put gas in and go vehicle, I would advise against the LR even though it sounds like a great one for one of us.
What do u consider routine? Fluid changes, brakes, plugs, wires, things of that nature I have done plenty of over the years and don't mind. I am not however trying to replace engine gaskets or pull heads or rebuild axles or anything like that. Every vehicle I have owned in the last 18 years has been at least 8 years old and had at best 115,000 miles so I am familiar with the general needs of domestic vehicles, just not so much with a land rover.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Rovers are domestic in more ways than one. Actually they can be easier to work on when needed. It's a condensed truck with a Buick pushrod V8. You have a low mileage example of the right edition of our beloved Disco's. You have the best seats they could have installed in a Disco for long trips. Many of us have more miles on less well cared for trucks than the one your thinking of swapping with. Yes, they can be a pita but so can any vehicle from 98. My son's Dodge Ram 2500 with 250k+ miles is a great example of things that go wrong while it's running....or was then just quit. Expensive they can be unless you have a forum to ask from which your already 2/3rds the way home there. Some parts you can find at a local parts house and most you'll want to order over the net since the prices are equivalent in many cases to domestics. Best of luck in deciding. The biggest suggestion I can make is to not ever let the truck overheat. Not to scare you, it's not a tough job to replace head gaskets but it can be prevented with normal routine maintenance you can do yourself. Always keep an eye on the coolant temp gauge.....always.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes you MUST always use premium gas.
The things are easy to work on for most things.
Dont use any w-30 motor oil.
Wheel bearings are pretty easy, head gaskets can be done in a weekend, trans and engine and diffs are bullet proof.
There are stories of the t-case being ran dry for a 1,000 miles before it started making noise, then it was filled with gear oil and driven for another year before it was replaced.
Stories out of South America of the crank case being filled with banana oil and being driven for who knows how long.
Take care of it and it will last forever, dont take care of it and it will last half of forever.
Seriously, the body will rust away before the rest of it goes bad.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:27 PM
6th Gear

Ok looked at it last night, guy has a book of records from the previous owner, thing is in amazing shape, carpet still looks new, new sunroof motor, new water pump, old man emu lift, rock sliders, I mean very nice. Only thing is I noticed both heads, between the block and head are seeping some oil. So looks like head gaskets will need to be replaced soon.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Not unknown problem, but snug up the 8mm 12 point bolts on valve covers first. Do at every oil change. many more people on here with coolant leaks than oil leaks up high. Now oil leaks on the lower level, a built in feature in case you are in a corrosive atmosphere.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually it sounds great. Some of the things I referred to would include water pump, oil pump, and fan clutch. New Hoses and wires would probably be in order unless they have been changed.

Like it says above, tighten all the valve cover bolts to snug them down. Mine leaked some oil that would pool up on top of water pump. I was told Valley Pan Gasket. I ordered gasket set for entire top end just in case. Snugged down the valve covers and no more oil leak!

I would definitely take it. The 98 is a good year to have, upgraded seats and such.
Records from origial are a good find. Prior maint is good to know.

I would also check out the CDL shifter for proper side to side movement to lock and unlock also check high low shifting function, works only with tranny in N.

And change all diff fluids and t/c fluid and front swivel lube and u-joints lubed and wheel bearings packed.

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy, that is the question.. 1998 Disco LSE