Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

buying new tires, who has the best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran treadwright 255/70s on stock suspension and only did a camel cut and steering stop adjustment. Will be going to 265/75 now that its lifted. I thought the 255s looked and function well on stock suspension.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calebbo
What is the largest tire size with a 2" lift? I know we covered this before in previous threads but I'm just to lazy to search :P
235/85s work nicely on mine. I had 265/75s and got sick of them - bad turning radius, and they were going to require more trimming than I wanted. That's with OME +2 springs. Yes it's a bit of a dog in terms of acceleration but it looks good and handles nicely off-road. Very minor trimming and bump stop adjustments may be required.

Oh, to answer the original poster, BFG KM2s for me. They look great and are unstoppable. I've had T/A KOs and they are good for everything but mud. I've also owned Firestone Destination MTs when they first came out and they are roughly equivalent to the KM2s just a bit stiffer and tend to pick up a ton of rocks and throw them at your rig. The KM2s are the softest riding load-range E tire I've ever had, and seem to grip as well as the Firestones did. To the Firestones' credit, they are the only tire I've seen push a 2WD pickup through 12" of snow uphill without losing their composure. Then again I haven't tried that in the Rover, no 2WD mode...

Treadwrights are fine if you find a tread pattern you like. I ran their 285s on my old Ford for at least 5,000 miles and they didn't show any wear or make much noise.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 02-08-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking for "road tires" the Treadwright AT are a good choice. I have 2-3 sets in my fleet and are definitely quieter than the Guarddogs. on the BFG carcass they look like a BFG. I have not run them in the rocks/ desert/ mud / snow. so, can not comment on the off-road performance (I have been impressed by the GuardDog off-road). If you buy TreadWrights I would buy them in a set of 5....just in case you get a bad one you won't have to wait for the replacement, and if not you'll have a matching spare. Like I mentioned earlier.....if they make it past 10 miles they should be good to go until worn out. Most people will never run into a probelm.....I just happen to have a very large test sample of Treadwrights. I don't buy them for my fleet anymore, but am confident in the ones still in service and have a set for my personal vehicle.

advntrjnky

advntrjnky

Old 02-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by advntrjnky
on the BFG carcass they look like a BFG.
True dat, perform the same too. Their BFG clone is the "Warden" tread. They were a great tire for desert explorations in my old rig.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 02-08-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Winching

Oh and here are my 235/85 KM2s on the Rover for reference. They actually have negligible road noise and feel incredibly stable on the road, but if you won't use them off road it might be hard to justify the $200+ per tire, unless of course you really have $1000 for a fashion statement. I like them and intend to keep the tires even if (heaven forbid) I sell this rig.

I like the skinny-tire look on Rovers. Also, the narrow width seems to help cutting through the loose stuff and keeping me pinned down on snow & ice.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 02-08-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Marnold-98-Disco
Im buying new tires for my 98 Disco and was wondering who makes the best looking all terrain/ mud terrain tire for the money. the disco is not lifted so I can't go real big just looking for something to make it look more aggressive, made sit just outside the wheel well. any suggestions?!?
Wait, I just reread this. Your tires are supposed to fit inside the wheel well. These trucks are designed to tuck. If you want to be out past the wheel well, you'll either need a 265 or wider (which will kill your turning radius) or you'll need some good quality wheel spacers. Either way you'll compromise your articulation and potentially cut up your lugs if you ever do tuck. In my opinion, unless you maintain the ability to tuck your tires, you officially have a very-expensive-to-maintain-minivan - not a Land Rover.

If you just want the wide look, a 245 or 255 will fit the bill as others have noticed and probably tuck with little to no trimming. But of course tires tend to cost more for any given diameter as you go wider, a 215/85-16 MT or AT would look great, give you some extra height, and fit on stock suspension. Add to the mix that 85-series tends to be load range E and you've increased the load bearing and lateral stability of the tire. But it would not stick out past the wheel well at all...

Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
Oh and here are my 235/85 KM2s on the Rover for reference.

I like the skinny-tire look on Rovers. Also, the narrow width seems to help cutting through the loose stuff and keeping me pinned down on snow & ice.

i think youve just sold me on the 235/85s. that looks fantastic!

Old 02-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
i think youve just sold me on the 235/85s. that looks fantastic!
Thanks bro. I think they'll look even better with a new bumper on there...

Just keep in mind you may need to do some very minor trimming for the rear tires at the back of the wheel arch, as well as slight bump stop adjustments. Also I'm guessing my 2" lift helps a bit with fitment. I've had no serious issues though, they do what I need them to.

I should mention they also wander less than my 265s did and easily get me to the same places.

PS, totally unrelated to tires, but here's the view from the driver's seat for that same shot. If you've never felt your self-preservation instinct kick into overdrive, try pulling up within 5 feet of a crater like this. There's no driving through that one...

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 02-08-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:16 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
PS, totally unrelated to tires, but here's the view from the driver's seat for that same shot. If you've never felt your self-preservation instinct kick into overdrive, try pulling up within 5 feet of a crater like this. There's no driving through that one...

Pansy.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Pansy.
Actually on this one, yes. I thought I could pull right up to the edge for that photo, and I couldn't convince myself to get any closer than that.

Quick Reply: buying new tires, who has the best?