Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

A/C Blower Motor Switch vs Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Blower Motor Switch vs Alternator

So all summer the switch for the blower speed on the A/C has been acting up, it will intermittently shut off, and all I need to do is move it around a bit to get the blower going again.

This summer one alternator fails.

I replace it, then the replacement starts acting up, it will charge, then stop then start again. You can drive down the road and see the tach bounce around. If it stops for a while I will turn the blower off and it springs back to life, some times a just wiggle the switch around and it comes to life, other times it works with no difficulty, and other times it seems that wiggleing the switch has no effect on the alternator. Usually its when the vehicle is first started that the problems occur. The auto parts guy seems to think that I have a short somewhere that is causing the alternator that is messing up, I did not tell him about the A/C for fear of voiding any warranty.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? How much of a PITA is it to replace the switch for the blower motor? Do I have to replace the entire AC control box??

Any input appreciated.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you inspected the wires on the A/C switch? Maybe the contacts in the switch itself are actually faulty.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I hear it is pretty common tho have a D1 fan switch and even harder to find a replacement.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the switch for the rear a/c will work if you have it. I picked up one at a salvage to replace mine. Not too much of a bear, and yes, just the switch to replace. Shouldn't be related to the alt... sounds like you got a bad one.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

1994- 1999 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY REAR FAN/BLOWER SWITCH | eBay

Same as the DI.
2004 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY II REAR CLIMATE / FAN SWITCH | eBay

99 - 03 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY REAR FAN SWITCH | eBay

Shadowmerchant is parting out his DI.

The 2 problems are not related.
If you bought a rebuilt alt from a parts store it is bad.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I thought, perhaps it's the additional load that's giving the alternator fits. Thanks for the heads up on the rear switch. Need to DK the Rave Manual to my new MacBook air and get to pulling the plastic bits apart to get a look at that switch. Perhaps I'll take some photos along the way for a writeup

Old 08-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

There have been posts from other members about cleaning those switch contacts, perhaps with electrical contact spray, perhaps by taking apart. The rebuilt alternator is a quality control issue, I went through a couple, save your receipt for warranty. The Disco design with air flow from hot radiator ducted into the alternator may dry them out quick after "wading" in Borneo, but it is a lot of extra heat in stop and go traffic. You may have better luck with a local alternator/starter shop, or a factory original from a salvage yard or dismantler.

The blower motor drops out with three bolts, it is expensive, so be careful. Sometimes they get full of leaves or animal nests. If the blower switch was shorting out, it would blow a fuse, and that fuse is smaller than the 100 amp one that comes from the alternator. The switch is most likely going open. Of course, you could have other electrical issues, like corrosion on the cables at the front of the under hood fuse box, etc.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-06-2011 at 10:01 PM.