Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Camber/ alignment problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camber/ alignment problem

I have a problem with the camber on my passenger side front wheel. I know this is not an adjustable feature on Rovers, so something is seriously wrong. It is out enough to visually see the top of the tire leaning outboard more that the bottom. Plus, the tire is worn bald on the outside, inside edge still has prob. 1/4" tread. And it's not an alignment problem, as the drivers side tire is wearing perfectly even.

Anywho, the only culprits I could think of is: A: bent axle housing. B: when I rebuilt the swivel *****, I didn't put something together right. Only problem with that theory is, it only goes back together one way. The swivel can only go onto the axle one way. The upper pin/bushing and lower bearing can only go in one way. But here's the catch, the stub axle can go on anyway. RAVE says to put the stub axle on with the flat facing up(12 o'clock), and of course I didn't read it before hand, and put the flat facing down(6 o'clock). But to my knowledge, it is concentric with the base and does not matter which way it goes, or am i wrong?

As a side note: reason I was thinking bent axle tube is, against better judgment I have jacked up my front end a few times by putting the jack under the front diff. Bad??

Thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by kenk; 04-28-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Camber....

Kenk -
I don't think you can bend the axle by jacking from the Diff...

As for the reason it is out, I am sorry - but like you, I really can't think of another cause.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

can you get us some pics ?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Get the alignment checked. Usually if the outside of the tire is wearing fast its toed out and the inside of the tires wear its toed in too much.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default *****!!!!!

I know this is going to sound painful but it sounds like your ball is probably upside down. There is a dramatic difference in camber angle if aligned upside down.

I don't know how all your gear could have gone back together correctly but that is my guess.

Check the WM on pg.2 of section 54.... there you will get a good idea of the ***** natural camber angle.

On second thought, is that even possible????? that would mean the cone bearing was on top and the bush and abs sensor would be on bottom....

Never mind me the Magic lost tonight and I've been drinkin....

Last edited by Cosmic88; 04-28-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

OK, got some pics, pic #1- pass. side tire, pic #2- drivers side tire, pic #3, can't see it too well in a pic, but you can see how the top of the tire is leaning outwards

Attached Thumbnails Camber/ alignment problem-dsc00175.jpg   Camber/ alignment problem-dsc00176.jpg   Camber/ alignment problem-dsc00177.jpg  
Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Long Haul
Get the alignment checked. Usually if the outside of the tire is wearing fast its toed out and the inside of the tires wear its toed in too much.
That would usually be my first guess, but it stumps me why only the pass. side is wearing uneven. An option I haven't looked into is a broken belt in the tire towards the outside edge.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
I know this is going to sound painful but it sounds like your ball is probably upside down. There is a dramatic difference in camber angle if aligned upside down.

I don't know how all your gear could have gone back together correctly but that is my guess.

Check the WM on pg.2 of section 54.... there you will get a good idea of the ***** natural camber angle.

On second thought, is that even possible????? that would mean the cone bearing was on top and the bush and abs sensor would be on bottom....

Never mind me the Magic lost tonight and I've been drinkin....

Ya know, I've been goin over the WM and wrackin my brain tryin to think of how(and if) something went together wrong. The ball itself has a single odd spaced bolt hole, so it can only go on one way. The upper bushing and lower bearing can only go into their respective holes, as the bearing hole has a bottom lip to it, and the bushing hole is straight through.

I thought maybe the bearing or bushing was not seated correctly in the ball, but I would think for it to go back together, they would both have to be mis-seated, the same amount, and in the same direction.

I think I will for sh*t's-n-giggles, pull the stub axle and put it with the flat facing up instead of down and see it that helps.

OK, enough ball talk from me....

Last edited by kenk; 04-29-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

here's my 2 cents...
a. nature of the beast ?....my Coopers had pretty much the EXACT same wear pattern after they had 50,000-60,000 mi. on them.
b. nothin' personal , but I think your ball is probably ok.
c. maybe (and this is a stretch) the taller springs and taller tires are accentuating the wear pattern and / or angle / or appearance ?

Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I forgot about the bolt Pattern on the flanges... Been a couple years since ive had my ball off... Married with two kids

Is there any play in the pins or the bearings? Wheel off the ground, rock the wheel with hands at 12 and 6 oclock is the pin check and 3 & 9 is bearing check... you probably already knew and checked that.

Quick Reply: Camber/ alignment problem