Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Can I pull a locked car that blocks my driveway gate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can I pull a locked car that blocks my driveway gate?

I live at the beach and people are always parking in front of my driveway gate so I cant get in and out. I have a stock bumper setup, no winch etc.

Can I hook up a line to my truck and their car and pull it out of my way? If so, how big can I go without damaging anything. Where should I attach it to on my truck?

While I'd like to, not damaging their car would be a plus.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call a towing company...

Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Josh.0
Call a towing company...

x2 put up no parking signs and call a towing company they will get there quick. You try to tow a car in park with the wheels on the ground and only bad things can happen.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Just key their car

Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Some of the abve can buy you more trouble than it is worth. In many jurisdictions, the No Parking Or You Will Be Toad sign must also have info regarding where it will towed to and what statue enables that. In my state it has to be on your property, no just restricting access, for you to initiate the tow. On the public street or sidewalk, police have to be involved. Best idea is contact a towing company, explain how it happens often, and see if you can get one of their warning signs to put up, in exchange for always calling them. The police are bound to have it towed if blocking your drive, but the priority of that call could be awhile.

I have also seen the "fake boot" approach, where the owner parks his car at the very end of the driveway, just off the sidewalk, and installs a bright yellow parking boot he has purchased. Others see that and think the same thing will happen to them...

Or maybe a giant piece of rubber fake horse poop.. Or Wet Concete signs and construction cones. Blasting Zone? Lawn sprinkler aimed at that spot?

As much as we might like to inflict mayhem, usually you will find that there is a law against that as well.

Or get a commercial parking permit and park on the street blocking your own drive. But usually there is an ordinace against that too.

Just your price for living in paradise.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I think you should get bigger tires and take this approach

Old 03-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

That's cool...

Old 03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Pro Wrench

Jake...you love that movie.

Fact is I can't do anything really. Never do anything straight up or subversive when they know where you live. I'm a straight up kind of guy anyway.

I would never key a car. I bought a pack of single use Krazy Glue's which if put in the drivers door keyhole would be a huge pain in the ***...worse if it doesn't have power locks. Probably never use them for that.

You guys are far to reasonable today. Was looking to vent. I hate talking to the cops (nothing against the good ones of course)..kinda like ratting which goes against my code also.

When I do flip out finally (he was such a nice guy) I'm taking them all out. Straight up. With a pipe.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Put up a big sign warning everyone that a Potentially Crazy Guy lives there and it is not wise to block his driveway. Make it very noticeable.

Or do like Geoge Burns did in that one movie and put out cones and barricades everywhere.

I often overlap two parking spaces just to keep idiots from bumping my car with their doors. If anyone says anything, I tell them it is for the general safety and protection of everyone.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Put bright yellow spike strips on either side of the entrance. That'll legally keep them away.

Quick Reply: Can I pull a locked car that blocks my driveway gate?