Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

cant engage diff lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actully a pleasent guy, and again it is not supercharged yet! I purchased it because its a rare dealership option that i came across and purchased it for future plans. I've been going throught the disco repairing what I can when I can...I would have loved to have the cdl working from the point purchase, But I posponed it to fix other things. now that I have repaired what I wanted to, I am doing my research on the cdl so that when I have time I can tackle it next. As I already said the headers were bought because of future plans....the exhuast was rotten..and needed replacing...so I took the opurtunity to have a custom exhuast made for the headers...For me its as much about want I want as it is necessity. That is just my thing...I like having what I want.

Now I want to put and end to this....my dick like response was because of your dick like comment....which had nothing to do with my thread...I'll admit that you struck a nerve and I acted quickly and harshly...But I still think that your comment was unecessary...in order to make a display about irresponsible I am for doing what I want to my disco...which I read as you starting the ******** comments...

we here in Canada have freedom of speech as well....If I dont like your comments I will repond as I feel like.

either way...I'm over it and wouild like this to end...Being a disco owner for alittle over a year now... I cant wait to really tear into it when my job is less demanding....money is not the issue..its time....hopefully in the future I will be able to contribute in way to help others when it comes to making more power reliably in a disco...cause some people like that kind of thing

Old 03-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Mudding

after doing a search I can see how its annoying that people continue to ask this....

is it possible that a write up could be put in the tech section?

seeing as how this seems to be that common....it might help reduce this being asked all the time

Last edited by instg8r; 03-29-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by instg8r
after doing a search I can see how its annoying that people continue to ask this....

is it possible that a write up could be put in the tech section?

seeing as how this seems to be that common....it might help reduce this being asked all the time

Have at it, brother. Might be a good way to give back. Fix your problem and take pictures, make a nice write up.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Mudding

I would like to as long everyone is cool with it being in 3 months....

I'm back at work in another province...wont be united with my land rover until im done here.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Most entertaining thread all day. Period.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, so we got everybody awake now. I truly do not have a problem with you or anyone else. I agree, it is your Discovery, and as such you are certainly free to do with what you choose. And self expression is truly a lovely thing that noone should ever be denied or even slightly impeded.

Like the old "Don't Tread on ME". Glad to hear you have plenty of money sorry to hear about you lack of time. I have the opposite problem now, plenty of time, but nowhere near enough money.

And both of us are certainly worthy of owning our own LR's, even though a lot of people would say that owning and maintaining an older Land Rover Discovery is a problem itself.

My diff lock shifter was about the same as yours when I first got mine. Shift Hi/Low with no problems but side to side was not happening. The best thing to do is completely remove the Center Console, directions are in the RAVE.

Like I said, drill out the factory rivets and set the rubber boot aside. Spray everything heavily with PB Blaster, even better to repeat several times for a few days if possible.

Land Rover Discovery I Transmission Levers, Linkage Parts Available from RoversNorth.com

The entire linkage is pictured in the link along with part numbers and prices. Item 35 must rotate to engage (lock) the center diff. I replaced all the clevis pins and their locking clips because of the extreme binding mine had. Even then I had to place a socket over the nut in the middle of item 35 and tried to loosen it when low and behold, rotating that nut moved the entire linkage for the first time. It took a lot of force to get it to budge. I had a speed handle and a long extension on a deep socket to reach that nut from above.

Item 39, the diff lock switch, was bad on mine also. The plunger on it was bad. This switch turns on the dash light when the CDL is locked. It affects the light only, but if it is bad, you do not get the dash light on when the CDL is locked. The switch itself does not and will not prevent the CDL from engaging.

And all of this is completely independent of the hi/low function even though it is the same lever but a separate mechanism.

Lock and unlock is completely independent of hi/low functionality. Some people describe not having a functioning CDL as making the Disco a one wheel drive vehicle in that without it if you do get on a slick surface all power will be sent to the wheel with the least resistance.

Since the Discovery is full time four wheel drive, the CDL locks the front and rear diff to rotate at the same speed and as such should not be engaged on hard dry surfaces.

And as a side note, I spent some time this past weekend watching Horsepower TV where they were putting a supercharger on a GM LT1. It was awesome the amount of horsepower and torque those bad boys achieve.

Have fun.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-29-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Mudding

wow, thanks for the post....its damn big! lol...

anyway, I wouldnt say I have plenty of money, but in the current economic times Im glad to be working...which is my I work so much...you just never know.

Anyway, I really do love my landrover....I own a 2010 gmc sierra for work....and it is nice....I still look forward to driving my disco.

Once I get back home, I'll tear into it...hopefully I'll come out on top. thanks for the info

I really do have a problem when it comes to power....Ive been through some bad times....when my daughter was born...I could barely put food on the table and gas in the car...once I got past that time, I decided to rebuild my 91 passat station wagon that I brought my daughter home in from the hospital....coil-over suspension, paint job, engine swap, turbocharger....and we still have it and it will never leave our family...oh and it makes 400hp

Last edited by instg8r; 03-29-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Mudding

I look forward to geting this frustrated

YouTube - Diff Locks Last Stand (Rated PG)

Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahahahaha, i almost posted that video for you to enjoy! i guess you already found it.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 AM
Mudding

I really hope that i dont have to cut a hole in the tunnel....

If I have to I will make a removable cover plate.....

Quick Reply: cant engage diff lock