Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Can't pop hood...just embarrassing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can't pop hood...just embarrassing.

Got a new (used) hood to replace my acid bathed hood, put it on and while working on getting it on straight I got it down with a little force and now can't get it popped.

The release cable is NOT broken, I can pull and no release though. Any tricks to get this thing up?

I tried pulling on the small wire leading out of the black box from underneath but no luck.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's a pix of what is covered up. The cable pulls that center wire wire going thru bolt in hole on the right, and that releases the latch in the larger hole. Pulls to right in pix to release. If you don't want to start on a Saudi Grille conversion, you can use a long thin stick and poke up thru a hole under each head light. You would snag the round spring latch that hold in the turn signal. Once it pops out, there is a bolt at the bottom that holds the trim under the head light. With those trim pieces out the grille will move a little, but still has several screws across the top flange under the hood you can't move. Since they are sheet metal screws, might be able to get at the bottom with long nose pliers.

Attached Thumbnails Can't pop hood...just embarrassing.-p1120240.jpg   Can't pop hood...just embarrassing.-p1120429.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-14-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Here's a pix of what is covered up. The cable pulls that center wire wire going thru bolt in hole on the right, and that releases the latch in the larger hole. Pulls to right in pix to release. If you don't want to start on a Saudi Grille conversion, you can use a long thin stick and poke up thru a hole under each head light. You would snag the round spring latch that hold in the turn signal. Once it pops out, there is a bolt at the bottom that holds the trim under the head light. With those trim pieces out the grille will move a little, but still has several screws across the top flange under the hood you can't move. Since they are sheet metal screws, might be able to get at the bottom with long nose pliers.
I've already done the faux saudi conversion...and I can already get at the wire with pliers...still can't get it loose. What I'm saying is that it is already "popped" but I can't get it up...and I know that sounds like a personal problem!

It's like the small ball on the end of the post is stuck in there...the latch is released and I can't force the hood up. I'll figure it out, should have some time here at work today.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you tried haveing someone push down on the hood while you pull the hood release?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What I'm saying is that it is already "popped" but I can't get it up...and I know that sounds like a personal problem!
I had the same problem and was able to reach my hand under the hood and grab the hood hook and pull it by hand back enough to open the hood. If you can't get your hands in there, try using vise grips to grab the hook and pull it back.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to worry, what are the chances you will ever need to open the hood on your Discovery again... ;-)

Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by hh65flyer
Not to worry, what are the chances you will ever need to open the hood on your Discovery again... ;-)
LOL, I only need to swap in a brake booster, replace the original coolant reservoir tank, and see if the new PS hose stopped the leak or needs topped off! Just normal weekly stuff here.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you may need to resort to force! Prybar comes to mind.

Did you try spraying lots of PB BLASTER OR WD40 IN THERE TO LUB IT UP GOOD?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Got it.

I finally got it. Had some help pulling the release while I yanked and wiggled...wait a second...I'm still talking about the hood I promise.

Anyways, apparently the spring was getting caught too as everything just wasn't lined up quite right, I will adjust everything tonight to get a nice straight hood line and release.

Case closed.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it is bent or misaligned, that will cause troubles. Grease it good too.

I have heard of people rigging hand release cables just in case. We had to do something like that with my son's Honda, but his grill comes out easily.

Instead of a faux Saudi Grille, I have the American Redneck Version, it's two layers of expanded steel grid slightly offset with a small gap in between the two. Looks good, let's in more air, and won't dent if a large bug hits it like that gutter shield will.

Quick Reply: Can't pop hood...just embarrassing.