Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Check Engine light

Hi, new member, to start of I'll give y'all an update on my disco. Bought it for $1,800 ran fine. Got a little hot after hwy driving, added thermostat(non present), water pump, lower radiator hose, fan clutch, power steer hoses(3).

current issues with it are the check eng light came on and it began to vibrate, later the vib calmed down. only at high speeds does it vib. also after i braked hard the hazard lights came on, even after i removed the fuses they stayed on. had to disconnect battery. what can cause this to occur?

has anyone ever been able to jump the computer to make the codes flash? i've heard of using a volt tester to do this?

also i have a leak near my rear moon roof, does anyone know if the truck has a drain hole for the moon roof pan. had a lexus with the same issue and found one drain hole was clogged. does this truck have one?

getting the haynes book tommorow in the mail. only place i could find it was here Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories

also found parts on this site Car Parts Discount - New Auto Parts

and Best prices on Land Rover & Range Rover parts and Accessories

thanks for the help

Last edited by Sam95disco; 10-12-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I use rovers north, british parts of utah, and reatlantic british. Of course the first place I check is at the dealer because they usually can overnight me the part....
NEVER LET THE ENGINE "IDIOT TEMPERATURE LIGHT" GET ABOVE 9 O'CLOCK. If its at 10 o'clock your overheating. Those temperatu gauges are more like a warning light with a pointer. They are also very off on the calibration too. Savannah buzz I believe hooked up a code reader with live flow and found that at 9 o'clock you can be at 215 degrees.... and at 9 o'clock you can be at 180.. Or it was something like that..
Dose the vib only happen at high speeds??? If so, I would say a driveshaft is about to fail... SEE if you have the grease inserts, there should be 3 I think. I have 3 at least. When they fail, they take the transfer case and or tranny with them... Just things to be aware of...

Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by atancreti
Hi,
I use rovers north, british parts of utah, and reatlantic british. Of course the first place I check is at the dealer because they usually can overnight me the part....
NEVER LET THE ENGINE "IDIOT TEMPERATURE LIGHT" GET ABOVE 9 O'CLOCK. If its at 10 o'clock your overheating. Those temperatu gauges are more like a warning light with a pointer. They are also very off on the calibration too. Savannah buzz I believe hooked up a code reader with live flow and found that at 9 o'clock you can be at 215 degrees.... and at 9 o'clock you can be at 180.. Or it was something like that..
Dose the vib only happen at high speeds??? If so, I would say a driveshaft is about to fail... SEE if you have the grease inserts, there should be 3 I think. I have 3 at least. When they fail, they take the transfer case and or tranny with them... Just things to be aware of...
thanks but,
i fixed the "running hot issue", just needed a new fan clutch.
its not the drive shaft, the rubber coupling was replaced by previous owner.
it started to vibe after the check eng light came on.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:26 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

If the check engine light is on and you have a '95 with a 3.9L engine you should have and OBDI display box under the right front (passenger) seat. Take a look underneath the seat for a black box about 3"x2" with a red led display showing when the key is turned to the accessory position.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Mr. Sam,

The two drive shafts need universals you can grease at each oil change, if they have not been upgraded they run about $20 each and you can DIY, write up in the tech section of the Discovery 1 area of the forum. You can download the RAVE, which is the full set of tech manuals, including shop, body and interior, elecrical, wiring diagram, owners manuals, etc. Free. Link below. Good you did rubber coupling.

I would not trust the temp gauge, my scanner showed mine to be the same reading from about 150 - 230 F. This may be fine for keeping the owners out of the dealership with warranty complaints, but it keeps you from seeing the heat creeping up. By the time you see it start to move, it is already hotter than you want it to be.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Winching

new info

paul, i found the box f-in thanks! does it matter that the boxs says range rover?

buzz, i'll do the work next pay check.

so i got home and checked the coupling one more time and it was ok, walked by the hood and hear a tick tick noise, i knew what it was. arcing spark plug wires. sure enough one of the boots came of and was arcing with the manifold. so i tightened the boot back and check light went away hazards stop flashing.

damn service shop didnt tell me about the obd. smh

thanks for the help guys my girl is fine for now....

Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts
Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz

Old 10-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam95disco
thanks but,
i fixed the "running hot issue", just needed a new fan clutch.
its not the drive shaft, the rubber coupling was replaced by previous owner.
it started to vibe after the check eng light came on.
Just making sure.. Hope you figure it out.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by atancreti
Just making sure.. Hope you figure it out.
i did thanks, you know any info on the moon roof issue?

Quick Reply: Check Engine light