Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Chevy Power Steering Pump Works Great

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 09:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
Just did this today since I have wiped bearings in 3 rover pumps now, I used the pex 90 and like 2" of the oil line then reused my good return line

I got the 5/8" return line at a Napa that speacilizes in big rigs
a pic would be awesome ....thanks in advance ...lol

Old 10-22-2016, 11:57 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Pic installed the blue is oil rated hose

The following users liked this post:
XCELLER8 (10-23-2016)
Old 08-26-2018, 04:03 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Giving this a rez to ask if anyone knows what the fitting size is on the other end of the high-pressure line - the steering box side. Anybody?

Old 08-27-2018, 04:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

I'd like to hear back from the people who completed this to see how/if the pump is holding up now.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:01 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still working 4 years and 40k later

The Chevy pump works. I put in 40-50k ago and still working well. 215 total miles on truck. I wanted to go back and replace the pex fitting but never did. It fits and works well.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by yellowtiger99
The Chevy pump works. I put in 40-50k ago and still working well. 215 total miles on truck. I wanted to go back and replace the pex fitting but never did. It fits and works well.
As you've done this, can you please share what the fitting size is on the steering box end of the high pressure line? Everyone seems to be quite concerned with what's going on at the pump, but I can't seem to find anywhere what size fitting to get for the other end of the line. Cheers!

Old 08-31-2018, 07:13 AM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will check out the sizes later today. The high pressure line was not changed. I don’t recall getting a new one. The only hose I replaced was the return line. I had a 90 pex fitting in the truck and I fit perfectly I never liked the sharp bend but in all these years It has worked and shows no signs of failure. The truck will be off the road due to rust before it fails.

I will look at the hose today for sizing. Just keep in mind that the stock hose works with the Chevy pump. It is a perfect fit. Mount and piping. Only the return line was changed. Maybe original was too short? Maybe it was the wrong size? Maybe it was just leaking and was time to replace? Can’t remember why but I replaced it with oil resistant hose from the local stores.

will post later today.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:51 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by yellowtiger99
I will check out the sizes later today. The high pressure line was not changed. I don’t recall getting a new one. The only hose I replaced was the return line. I had a 90 pex fitting in the truck and I fit perfectly I never liked the sharp bend but in all these years It has worked and shows no signs of failure. The truck will be off the road due to rust before it fails.

I will look at the hose today for sizing. Just keep in mind that the stock hose works with the Chevy pump. It is a perfect fit. Mount and piping. Only the return line was changed. Maybe original was too short? Maybe it was the wrong size? Maybe it was just leaking and was time to replace? Can’t remember why but I replaced it with oil resistant hose from the local stores.

will post later today.
I'm so confused... I thought the whole deal with this upgrade was that the only thing that didn't work was the high-pressure supply line exiting the pump in a different location and therefore needing some different fittings to not interfere with the belt and other engine bits. You're saying you used your stock high-pressure supply line?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Mudding

Alright for any future readers of this thread, here are some clarifying points, because tbh I think there are a few confusing points in here. The pump is indeed a direct fit with the high-pressure supply line, it's an M16x1.5 thread, no problem there, however you may want to replace this line anyway if it's the original. The conflict is on the low-pressure supply line from the reservoir, because the Chevy pump has a straight nipple and not a 90-degree nipple like the stock pump. The picture previously shown on this thread where the guy made a custom-fabricated stainless steel line is not the new Chevy pump, I believe it's a stock replacement pump. You do not -need- a custom-fabricated stainless steel line for your new pump, least of all on the low-pressure supply line. If you want an all-stainless high-pressure supply line, the shopping list is below. You -will- need a solution for the low-pressure supply line. I got some 5/8" ID power steering return hose from Advance, PN 35003, linked below. I also bought a brass 90-degree 5/8" ID double hose-barb elbow from Amazon, linked below.

For the all-stainless high-pressure supply line, you'll need something like this, all available from Amazon. Take it with a grain of salt, as I canceled this order before I received it because I decided to just replace my line with a genuine one.
-Russel 632600 Powerflex Stainless Steel -6AN Power Steering Hose - 3 Feet
-Russel 620401 Powerflex Endura Aluminum -6AN Power Steering Straight Hose End
-Russel 620421 Powerflex Endura Aluminum -6AN Power Steering 90-degree Hose End
- (2x) Russel 648060 M16x1.5 / -6AN Power Steering Adapter Fitting
-Russel 620405-6AN Replacement Ferrules
-Misc o-rings for the adapters

Low-Pressure Supply Line:
5/8" ID Power Steering Return Line
90-degree Brass Elbow 90-degree Brass Elbow
Hose clamps and such

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (11-21-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Good info above, but using that s10 pump (tc pump, saginaw type 2, or whatever you want to call it) doesn't make much sense these days. I ran one a looong time ago, but that was before the bearmachs, britpart, and prolines of the world showed up along with a plethora of parted out discos when the correct replacement was around the $400 mark. They aren't really any more common or durable than the ZF and pumping volume seems to be the same. The original saginaw pump is a different story, but that requires custom brackets.

Quick Reply: Chevy Power Steering Pump Works Great