Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Chevy Power Steering Pump Works Great

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 07:10 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Does not work on a 3.9 engine

I have a 1995 D1 with a 3.9 engine. Unfortunately worked on a solution for a day before realizing that the distributor is in the way. If you have a 3.9 engine, there just is not enough space for a bend.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by roverdivagrace
I have a 1995 D1 with a 3.9 engine. Unfortunately worked on a solution for a day before realizing that the distributor is in the way. If you have a 3.9 engine, there just is not enough space for a bend.
I did this so many years ago now (seems it was at least 2011 from my post way above), that I can't remember what I did to clear the distributor. It is possible, as I did it. And, I've been running this setup ever since. I did add in a cooler which made a difference; I'd puke fluid if I had the system at the low level mark, but after the cooler, that stopped.

I think I swapped the straight fitting which comes with the Chevy application pump for a 90* fitting, but I couldn't tell you what I scavenged it from. I'll see if I can find any notes, or take a peek at my pump tomorrow to at least confirm the 90* fitting.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really sure what your issue was with the original that you are looking to convert, so I don't know if this will be helpful to you but mine constantly leaked, which is the reason I was looking at this thread. As you can see in the 2016 posting I went with black RTV to reseal the original. That was 4 years ago, mine is a daily driver and I have had zero problems since then. Good luck with whatever solution you come up with.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Banzai Jimmy
I did this so many years ago now (seems it was at least 2011 from my post way above), that I can't remember what I did to clear the distributor. It is possible, as I did it. And, I've been running this setup ever since. I did add in a cooler which made a difference; I'd puke fluid if I had the system at the low level mark, but after the cooler, that stopped.

I think I swapped the straight fitting which comes with the Chevy application pump for a 90* fitting, but I couldn't tell you what I scavenged it from. I'll see if I can find any notes, or take a peek at my pump tomorrow to at least confirm the 90* fitting.
I did find an old note. The low pressure fitting (straight on the GM-application pump, and 90* on the D1 application pump) is pressed in. What I can't recall is if they're the same size on the pump side; I'm betting they are. A caliper would tell you. If so, figure out a way to carefully remove the 90* fitting, yank out the straight fitting, and carefully press in the 90* fitting in place of the straight one. This is the best way to adapt the GM-app pump to a distributor serp belt engine. I think I did a hack job initially (short hose off the straight fitting, to a 90* fitting from the hardware store), but later took the time to swap the fitting and then added a cooler.