Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Console frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:46 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Usually, the film gets torn because a brake light switch failed. In desperation to get the solenoid in the shift assembly to release the transmission from park people stick a screwdriver in through the film in the hopes of reaching the solenoid.

The black plastic assembly including the film is called the shift illumination unit. AB sells it for $145 new. I have a few used ones in stock for $50.

As far as getting the console out. The most common thing people don't do is remove the pinion connecting the e-brake cable and handle. With the pinion removed, the handle can be moved almost straight up and the console can then easily be removed.

Regarding the black plastic shifter, some people miss the 19mm nut that is threaded onto the shaft of the shift assembly. It can't be seen without removing the plunger portion of the shifter. With the nut removed, sometimes it takes a bit of force to pull the shifter of the shaft. The o-rings sometimes provide good grip for the shifter making it difficult to pull off.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul, all this was GREAT info and allowed me to get the job done. I do have one concern. Is there actually access to a solenoid as mention in your first sentence?I'm just curious because now that I have everything open and exposed I don't see why/what one would think could be accomplished by poking a screw driver in the area?

Thanks Again

Old 01-10-2012, 03:57 PM
TReK

Once you've removed the unit with the film you will see the actual shift assembly. It is a metal assembly that is fitted into the top of the transmission tunnel. If you look along the right, inside the shift assembly you will notice that there is a little button poking out between what looks like something of a fork. When the car is in park, that button is there to prevent movement out of park unless your foot is on the brake. With your foot on the brake, the brake switch behind the brake pedal signals the solenoid on the right side of that shift assembly to withdraw that button enabling you to shift out of park.

The problem typically arises when that brake switch behind the brake pedal fails. The signal is not sent to the solenoid in the shift assembly and you are unable to move the shifter out of park. A way to see if this is the problem is to put your foot on the brake while having someone in the back of the car see if the brake lights come on. If they don't you need a new brake light switch.

I have seldom seen issues with the solenoid that is in the shift assembly.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another thing to check out while you have the console out, make damn sure that the other shifter works smoothly. That is ensure that the CDL function works properly. Verify that you can move that shifter toward the driver's seat a few inches to lock the center diff and that it freely moves back towar4d the passenger's seat to unlock the center diff. If not, you need to go further and check out the CDL shift linkage, it is common for it to "freeze up" from lack of use and contamination/corrosion from exposure to the road elements.

Have you used the Diff Lock yet? How about shifting from Hi to Low and back?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

AB has the shifter tape. Been there, done that. Funny thing is, I removed my entire console for good......except for the dash it looks like a Series inside.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
AB has the shifter tape. Been there, done that. Funny thing is, I removed my entire console for good......except for the dash it looks like a Series inside.
Picture please...

Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Give me a couple of days, I'll post up.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Overlanding

Paul, thanks for the education. Just waiting on the unit to arrive so I can go back together. Was blown away at the price of the tape. Rep in SA wanted $134.00 just for the tape only. Went w/a "used" unit found on line for $50.00.

Danny, the diff lock/hi & lo works fine. I'm thinking of going ahead and applying some spray lub while everything is open..any recommendations on what type?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know AB doesn't have the shifter tape. Please, prove me wrong. I've looked around and only heard rumors of a part that's no longer available. Would love to figure out a fix as I'm not spending the cash on that fix when there's so much else to do.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by rcook
Paul, thanks for the education. Just waiting on the unit to arrive so I can go back together. Was blown away at the price of the tape. Rep in SA wanted $134.00 just for the tape only. Went w/a "used" unit found on line for $50.00.

Danny, the diff lock/hi & lo works fine. I'm thinking of going ahead and applying some spray lub while everything is open..any recommendations on what type?

Too bad, I have the complete illumination unit including the tape for $50.

Pack the box the CDL shifter comes out of with grease and it will help to keep everything moving smoothly.

Quick Reply: Console frustrations