Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Convert to 2 Door

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011 | 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

My entire interior is done in line-x, the clean up is pretty easy. The road noise and heat transfer though is epic. I could slow roast a hog over the tranny tunnel. I would honestly not go that route, unless you went with a product that could hold out the heat and noise better.

Old 09-30-2011 | 08:49 AM
Winching

For the interior I would suggest a full line x but I would keep the front carpet pad and get a new carpet for the top. That way the back where you aren't sitting is line x for easy clean up but the front stll has padding to insulate and new carpet to look good. And definitely go with the painted headliner. Are you gonna seal off the rear doors or not?

Old 09-30-2011 | 04:15 PM
|
Mudding

Yes im going to seal off the rear doors as soon as I have the funds. My first step is going to be to flatten off the rear cargo with a storage box I plan to make, Im also going to install a set of jump seats just in case i ever need room for passengers.

Heres my plan

1. Remove bench seat, carpet etc, build storge box, Linex new cargo space.

2. quick detour to replaceing my headliner with a painted headliner

3. jump seats

4. seal and weld doors, (havent decide if I want to keep all my glass yet)

5. final details such as custom trim and stuff to put in new big cargo space.

Old 09-30-2011 | 05:27 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
.....The road noise and heat transfer though is epic. I could slow roast a hog over the tranny tunnel......
X2, I did this in my old Land Cruiser and it cooks me. Look into Dynamat.

Old 09-30-2011 | 07:43 PM

Why even worry about the foot well?

And leave the front carpet pad in? Why to help the floorboards to rust thru quicker? You know that is just one big sponge and stays wet once it gets wet. The pad under the rear carpet also holds tremendous amounts of water if it gets wet.

Mine no longer has any carpets, no headliner and very little of the interior trim left either. All of the rear walls are bare for now. Some of the interior metal is painted, some just treated. There is no shiny bare metal anywhere in there fromk the factory. There are lots of funny looking pieces of tape, some splotches of sealant. Some bare holes where you can see daylight right thru the floor. You should go ahead and yank the carpets out, you will be somewhat surprised how the interior is from the factory.

Wire bundles routed on the floor right under the carpets. Missed adhesive seams on the ribs to the roof skin. In the rear, under the headliner , you will find all the wiring for rear air, even if you do not have rear AC. (LR used one wire loom for all models with all wiring there for all options)

I have had my middle seats out for some time, right now I do have the single seat in the middle for my 4 year old grandson.

Do a search on Bobbed Land Rovers and you will see quite a few cut down modifications, even a few pick up truck styles like some of the early Series trucks.
Some of them have just a two seat cab on the front with a box for the rear. You could reconfigure the truck based on what tops you put on.

There are also some stretched Discoveries with an extra set of wheels on the rear giving you six wheel drive.

It's yours, have at it. Just make sure the basic running gear is solid before you go putting much moola into making it a two door.

Old 10-01-2011 | 08:48 AM
Winching

Danny, the reason I suggested the pad in the front is if the added heat bothers him. I never had any issues with interior leaks so mine never soaked up water in the front. I had no rust in my Disco. I could certainly see my feet roasting if I had ripped the front carpet out though.

Old 10-01-2011 | 12:51 PM

I could slow roast a hog over the tranny tunnel.

I like the idea of a built in hog cooker, but I would want to add a few more holes and be able to add some wood chips so you could smoke the hog as well for better flavor.

Lots of the older DI's have either experienced leaks at the front windshield or the heater coils under the dash such that the front floor boards do get wet and rust thru. If they do get wet, you pretty much have to yank the carpets and padding to dry it out.

I did see some good reflective heating lining material in t he on-line JC Whitney catalog.

Old 10-03-2011 | 08:30 AM
|
Mudding

Got two things knocked off the list sunday. I pulled the headliner and did the whole chalkboard headliner. And pulled the rear seats. After dropping the headliner I was but very suprised to see that there was absolutely no rust whatsoever.

The headliner turned out extremely well pics to come.

And what I thought would be a pain, removing the seats it was too easy. But I love all the space I have now.

Up next I will be pulling carpet etc. And I plan on taking lots of pictures.

Old 10-03-2011 | 11:45 AM
Mudding

Are the lights on that rally disco a commercial factory option or is that a custom job from a defender? Man oh man do those things look bad @ss.

Old 12-08-2012 | 07:38 PM
Banned

I am very curious about the progress on this!

What stage are you at or did you bail out?
Do you have any pictures?

Quick Reply: Convert to 2 Door