Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Convert to 2 Door

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert to 2 Door

So I got to thinking, how hard it would it be to convert my 4 door discovery into a 2 door? I never use the back seat and most of the time the back seat are either flipped up or removed.

I was think remove door handles, find a way to permantly lock them, and bondo those holes and then proceed to fill up the door seam. I really like the way this one looks LAND ROVER DISCOVERY RALLY /OFF ROAD / RAID | eBay except its from the factory that way.

And then would it be possible to install 2 sets of the rear jumpseats in the back? So if i did have passengers they could just sit back there entering and exiting through the rear door.

Or am i just crazy for thinking this?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Except that is a 3 door, the first 2? years of the Discovery were only 3 door, so shorter wheelbase, etc.
You cannot make your truck look like that, you could come close, but wont look that clean in my opinion.
It is your truck and if thats what you want to do go for it.
As for the third row, yes, buy the jump seats, mounting brackets and seatbelts from a 7 passenger DI and you are good to go.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unique. No doubt about that. I just don't know how you could make it look "clean." Lots of seams, and you'd have to cover the seatbelts, the footspace would still be there, oh **** bars, etc...

Old 09-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

No more crazy than my body shop pal who took an old El Camino and stretched it to put in a back seat. Couple of gallons of Bondo ought to do it. Just take door lock wires loose to prevent central locking from worrying with them, also dead end alarm switch wire, if switch ever failed you would have an unpleasant time. Would suggest while doors still swing you replace window regulator rollers in them, pretty hard to do with door closed.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Mudding

Ok so say I do want to continue with this idea. A long wheelbase 3* door discovery ( I never counted the rear door as a number )

What would be the best way to fill in all the seams? Thats my main issue. Is just welding the doors shut more economical?

I have a welder so I could find a way to make a cover for the footspace and turn that into storage.

Is it possible to install the jump seats in a non SE7 or would I have to update to different trim?

And thanks for mentoning the window regualtors. One of mine do need to be replaced.

What else do you think I would need to make this work?

Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Actually the 3 door had the same 100 inch wheelbase.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Looks sharp, but I would have a tough time adjusting to the limited visibility.

Last edited by collin Barrows; 09-27-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Mudding

Yes! thats excatly what im looking to do. except i might keep the windows I dont know yet.

Do you know if that started as a 5door and was converted? or is a factory 3door

Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That rally looks pretty sick. I love it. I don't understand why you are doing it this way though. Still gonna look like a door is there so it won't really change anything. Here is my two cents: if you want to make it look like the rally pull the doors off and have a matching skin made and welded in place, panels to replace the rear windows (alpines optional), and repaint. Only way to make it look right. If you don't want to go that way then pull the rear bench permanently, weld up a storage box to fill the foot well and put lids in the tops or sides and access that storage through the side doors and put the rear jump seats in. Like I said it's just my two cents but I just think that welding the rear doors shut does nothing except weld them shut. Still looks the same. Anyway I will be following the thread to see what you do. Good luck with it.

Edit: Collin posted up what I am talking about while I was busy typing lol. If it's not a solid panel where that door was it will just look strange.

Last edited by discomedic4; 09-27-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Rock Crawling

started its life out as a 97 disco, look up "land rover discovery van" a good number of hits.

Quick Reply: Convert to 2 Door