Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Cooling system overhaul and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The stock D1 cooling system does a good job of regulating engine temps both at very low and very high ambient temps. I really don't understand people modifying them all the time. Mods just aren't needed except in very unusual conditions, like maybe death valley or the artic.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not trying to improve the capacity or capability but rather the efficiency and longevity. If I wasn't going thru the process of replacing all this stuff I likely wouldn't do it just for fun. But since I have to do this anyway, I might as well make it a more robust system.

Cheers.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A properly working DI cooling system is efficient enough to keep the engine cool even without a clutch fan.
I drove for a year not knowing my clutch fan was bad, truck never overheated, even in August running the Tin Cup up north with the a/c on.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Probably the best thing one could do, other than making sure the stock system is in good shape, is install a cooling system filter. Here's one example: http://ganofilters.com/
Here's a review: Coolant Filters

Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Mudding

spike....that's good to know and makes me feel even betterer about the electric fan.

anitchrist....that's nifty, I like this quite a bit. I'm thinking even a bit of cloth could serve this purpose though definitely want to be sure it's secured so as not to get sucked into the rad.

Cheers.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

They use coolant filters on over the road semi's, but then again they never change the coolant in them either.
If the radiator, water pump, whatever goes bad, it gets changed, but 20gal+ of coolant is alot of money to change just because.
Because the base stock of coolant never wears out, it is the corrosion inhibitors and lubricants that wear out so they just add that stuff back in every 500,000 miles, it comes in gallon jugs.
You can actually recycle engine coolant and make it as good as new with the recycle machine which is about the size of a dorm fridge.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Mudding

Ok, small update here. I finally ordered all the needed parts here. Rec'd the ebay aluminum rad, looks decent. I ordered the water pump, tstat, upper/lower rad hoses..this will all be here today. I only need the electric fan which I'll order today. I plan to tackle it this coming weekend if possible, depends on free time available with Mother's Day and all.

I'll report after I'm done with the work. Cheers.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
They use coolant filters on over the road semi's, but then again they never change the coolant in them either.
If the radiator, water pump, whatever goes bad, it gets changed, but 20gal+ of coolant is alot of money to change just because.
Because the base stock of coolant never wears out, it is the corrosion inhibitors and lubricants that wear out so they just add that stuff back in every 500,000 miles, it comes in gallon jugs.
You can actually recycle engine coolant and make it as good as new with the recycle machine which is about the size of a dorm fridge.
Can it make Dex-Cool not suck so much?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Mudding

No, it can't. It's inherently sucky.

Cheers

Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Using a 180 stat?

Quick Reply: Cooling system overhaul and upgrades