Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

A couple issues I have found...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A couple issues I have found...

Today I was doing a bit of an inspection of my 98 Discovery and I was looking at the drivers side front wheel and noticed that it had accumulated a whole lot of gunk in the past couple weeks since I bought it. I was trying to figure out where this gunk was coming from when I noticed something odd with my suspension... I think the picture says it all.

I'm just trying to get some peoples ideas for my plan of action, should I wait til I get my OME suspension kit to do anything to this (should be about 2 weeks) or should I go get some spacers/bushings right away? I drive it less than a mile a day, and no offroading except for a dirt road has been done.

Also, does anyone have any idea where that gunk might be coming from? its only on the drivers side, so my best guess is something with the power steering.

Attached Thumbnails A couple issues I have found...-2011-03-29_21-11-52_135.jpg  
Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely a power steering leak. I don't really get what is wrong in the picture. Are you talking about the spring seat?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PS fluid is probably from the steering box itself, it is very common. But I would check the hoses to just make sure.

As far as the suspension, are you talking about that lower shock bushing that looks like it's melted and squished and lopsided? I would say if you're replacing it in the not-too-far future and it causes no ill handeling effects, just wait.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First off, spray everything down really good with a degreaser like Mean Green or Greased Lighting. Clean it off really good so you can determine the extent of your problem.

Also be aware that the transmission fluid that is used in the PS system (not Power Steering fluid) can had adverse affects on the bushings when it drips down on it and saturates it. You should resolve that ASAP. There is more info regarding this on other threads, so possibly search for front bushing damage?

Have you downloaded the RAVE? Are you doing the 60K list on your 'New" Disco?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will plan on spraying down and cleaning that area to further investigate whats going on when I get a chance tomorrow. I have been meaning to do that, but because of the hectic schedule of my job, I really havent been able to. Ill post another picture once I have cleaned it off.

I will look into the previous thread regarding the Power steering issue and hopefully I will be able to find a resolution.

The spring seat really jumped out to my attention when I saw it, I just was really worried about that, because normally the suspension sits on it right? but now its just kind of a void there...

I have downloaded the RAVE. And I'm just going over various things that I also look for when I get a used car, not necessarily the 60K checklist. I was going to take it down to Land Rover Honolulu to have that done if it wasn't too expensive.