Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Couple questions on a 95 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010 | 07:46 AM
Winching
Default Fuel Temp Sensor (thermistor) = FTS

The FTS is a component which alters fuel mixture at STARTUP and idle and really shouldn't be removed and replaced with a resistor. The FTS is threaded into the fuel rail however it does not directly contact the fuel so it can be removed without depressurizing the rail.

This sensor tells your 14CUX ECU the fuel temp at STARTUP... meaning, if you have a hot engine at startup your ECU will adjust the fuel mixture based on the temp of the fuel at the rail.

I'd also check the proper function of your coolant temp sensor (the FTS and coolant temp sensor are "related" in the brain of the ECU) and ALL ignition components.

Last, if you don't have the CD changer under your drivers seat then that plug is missing its friend... it is / was for your changer if the plug looks like the one in the pic attached.

EDIT: there are two plugs there, one is for signal output (small white, two wires) the other is power. I THINK.

I hope some of this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Couple questions on a 95 Discovery-dsc03586.jpg  

Last edited by Cosmic88; 10-28-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: mo info
Old 10-28-2010 | 04:24 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Thanks a lot Cosmic88 that is just the information I was looking for on the sensor, so basically it is a fuel enrichment based on heat soak to the fuel rail that explains the problems I am having after the engine warms up with restarting. I had not seen yet where anyone mentioned the FTS and coolant temp being linked together in the ECM though that is very good info. I have looked at several coolant temp sensors online at various vendors and it seems they have a round post for a terminal. My Disco has one with a blade type on it any idea where to get them at? I am going to replace them both as I do not feel either is operating properly. My engine temp checked on both the heads and thermostat housing runs between 148-154*f but the gauge inside barely moves a quarter way up. Do you happen to know if a regular diagnostic Snap On handheld will talk to these trucks? Sorry for all the questions but there is not a lot of free knowledge out there on the net and this is the best place I have found to discuss and share info

Old 10-28-2010 | 06:21 PM

I agree with Tom on those ground connections. All excellent reccomendations, excellent pics and work. Talk about a positive crimp, that is definitely one. I remember using RTV to encapsulate ground connections on Navy aircraft to prevent corrosion from that at sea operaing environment.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 10-28-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2010 | 08:12 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
excllent pics and work. Talk about a positive crimp, that is definitely one.
Thanks.
If anyone is needs cables I can make red & black of any length with #6 - 4/0 welding cable. Heavy duty lugs with moisture seal heat shrink tubing.

Old 10-28-2010 | 08:26 PM
Winching

I had not seen yet where anyone mentioned the FTS and coolant temp being linked together in the ECM though that is very good info. I have looked at several coolant temp sensors online at various vendors and it seems they have a round post for a terminal. My Disco has one with a blade type on it any idea where to get them at? - Both fuel (fuel is just at startup) and coolant temperatures are read by the ECM to determine fuel mixture. For example, let's say the engine is cold, upon startup the ECM will richen the mixture through the injectors since the FTS says the fuel / engine is cold. This is because the ECM does not yet have any other usable sensor data; it just defaults to a preprogrammed mixture setting. As the engine warms the thermostat (Lucas part # 73355a) is partly responsible for telling the ECM to reduce the length of the injector pulses...leaning it out. I think Auto Zone carries the equivalent as part #SU5133. As for round vs. blade I would guess the blade offers better coolant flow as long as it is aligned correctly. This part is a common failure issue.

They both control mixture upon startup depending on engine temp.

My engine temp checked on both the heads and thermostat housing runs between 148-154*f but the gauge inside barely moves a quarter way up. - that explains the bad signal to the ECM

Do you happen to know if a regular diagnostic Snap On handheld will talk to these trucks? - the 14cux is OBD1 protocol...not OBD2 (everything post '95) and I have no idea if the Snap-On reader is compatable.

Last edited by Cosmic88; 10-29-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-28-2010 | 08:34 PM
Winching
Default Solaros

Originally Posted by antichrist
Thanks.
If anyone is needs cables I can make red & black of any length with #6 - 4/0 welding cable. Heavy duty lugs with moisture seal heat shrink tubing.
I'll take you up on that offer if you are going to be at SOLAROS next weekend. I'm draggin' the family up to Blairsville and could meet up with you to buy my "new" winch connections.

Last edited by Cosmic88; 10-28-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2010 | 08:37 PM

Cosmic88:
I like the detailed info you provided, may I ask what is the source of all these details?

Old 10-28-2010 | 09:02 PM
Winching
Default Friggin Limey

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Cosmic88:
I like the detailed info you provided, may I ask what is the source of all these details?
I likes ta read...uh huh

Believe it or not the rover V8 (or is it the Buick 215? ) is a very tune-able engine. It was kinda considered a hot rod engine in the UK. People put 'em in MG's, C33's and even a Miata. Because of that there is some decent info on the 14CU and CUX ECM's Rover used up till '95. The NAS 14CUX even has a progammable chip (EPROM) for remapping the fuel injection. When I lived over there I picked up a thing or two...