Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Connector, which one do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 11:29 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor Connector, which one do you use?

I see several generic parts options for this connector, which one have you guys used? I can't seem to find an OEM one anywhere, which I'd really like.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2020, 11:34 PM
4wd Low
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

and Where is the connectors......I've been trying to trace and verify that the wires aren't fraid; however, I can't locate the wires leading to the sensor.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:13 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Weatherpack connectors are affordable and Rover-worthy and available thru NAPA. I use them on bike builds and , recently, on my CPS (- also recommend extra heat shielding!)

Old 08-09-2020, 07:57 AM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I found the front blinker connector to be the same as the crank position sensor. I broke mine off on a trail and sacrificed a blinker to get me out. May be able to get one from the junk yard.

Not sure what truck you have but I did this on a 96’ D1

Last edited by aemnky606; 08-09-2020 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 08-09-2020, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Fog light harness is the same, and honestly I think it's the same as a fuel injector plug (you can normally buy those at an auto parts store).

Old 08-10-2020, 09:48 AM
Overlanding

Ok, guys, help me figure out where i've screwed up here.

I've got the new connector wired in. It won't start.
Is there a polarity to the wiring? I have a brown wire and green wire...i've tried it both ways, no fire. Could I have damaged the sensor by hooking it up backwards? I show the sensor has resistance, so I'm assuming it's ok? Does anything need to be grounded?

I can't figure this out.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:40 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Follow the wire up to make sure the wires are not shorted out on each other. The insulation gets heated over and over and will crack off and then short out. This is very common.

The following users liked this post:
Best4x4 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Overlanding

Ok, I have the truck running again. Here is what I did in case anyone needs this info.

The existing connector wire had the insulation completely burned off...I honestly don't know how the truck was running. I was getting a code P0340 and had issues with hot starting, etc. so I assumed this might be the prob.

I was unable to find a factory connector, so I bought an aftermarket one that "kinda" fit. It didn't have a retainer clip, so I wired the connector to the sensor and taped over that, then put some titanium fabric wrap over that to help protect from heat. Before I installed the sensor and connector back into the Disco, I tested the wiring ohms...i saw a readout and not OL so I figured I was good. Hooked everything back up, truck wouldn't start. Took everything back off. Tested for voltage coming from ECU, check. Checked ohms again...check. So what is wrong? HERE IS WHAT WAS WRONG...I don't use a multimeter much and so didn't realize that the resistance reading was because I WAS HOLDING THE WIRES TO THE METER ENDS WITH MY FINGERS. As soon as I realized that I took the wiring apart and sure enough the connector had backed out just enough to not be touching. So, i retaped and the truck started right up.
I hate the aftermarket connector on there...it doesn't fit well. I'm going to take it all back off tonight and use an old fog light connector i found (which is exactly the same as the factory CKS connector) and re-do it.

Thanks to all for your help. I feel like an idiot by glad to have my Disco running again!