Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Crappy new steering box fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crappy new steering box fix

I bought a brand new steering box from a vendor here. It was shipped with a single piece of bubble wrap in a regular cardboard box which I originally thought might be the problem.

I had it installed only to find it pissing fluid from the top of the box where the top plate meets the box. My friend/mechanic took it apart and we found that the O-ring in the top was noticeably but barely smaller than the O-ring in my old box.

We put the old O-ring in the new box and cured the problem 92%. Still leaks but very little. Surely not pissing like before.

I'm looking for the right O-ring but am finding it very hard to find on its own. Also, I suspect there might be slight variations to O-rings I might find.

It was recommended to me by a user (and my mechanic) that we use a good silicon/gasket maker along with the old O-ring.

Problem is I have spent considerable time and money trying to get this box working properly. My shipping costs to PR and the attitude of this vendor made me need to solve the problem locally.

Should I keep trying to find the right O-ring or do the gasketmaker/silicon treatment?

Attached Thumbnails Crappy new steering box fix-2011-07-23_10-10-55_367.jpg   Crappy new steering box fix-2011-09-10_08-39-39_202.jpg   Crappy new steering box fix-2011-09-10_08-40-50_453.jpg  
Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could try an anaerobic gasket maker.http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...ket_makers.htm

Old 09-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Check industrial suppliers on the island. For O-rings only one spec matters - outside diameter and outside diameter. Would advise purchase of some on either side of what you have. Dealer item? I had to pay $5 for one O-ring for my Mercedes - seals back of water pump to engine, 9 hours to install.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Pro Wrench

Dealer wanted me to buy a new truck with the O-ring.

Indy Rover wanted me to pay $50 for the O-ring.

Industrials (2) did not have one available although second one was very interested in my efforts as he had a new LR4 falling apart.

I'd be really happy with a $5 O-ring.

I think my options are find the "industrial" online. I've been liking this company which I found through a user while looking for saudi grill supplies: McMaster-Carr, or go with the Permatex stuff Chris suggests. Thing is I've had the top o' the box off three times already so I'm kinda hoping that this will be the last time. Thanks guys. Going to try and complete my glowgauge install today SB. Truck is running beautifully now tho.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

McMaster Carr is a big, good time source.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
oh yeah. i need 480,000 things from them.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

maybe La Casa de Los Tornillos, or a good sized plumbing supply - lots of folks have O rings, i had to go to a rubber supplier once.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
COMPLETELY agree - McMaster Carr is a great source!

I would also suggest that you keep looking for the correct "O" ring.
The others ("Form-a-gasket"), TO ME, are a band aid in place of stitches. Don't get me wrong - they have their place and use, however, in a high pressure system, I feel that using them will NOT produce a satisfactory seal under pressure and you will be back in there SOON to fis another leak.

If you DO go with a "form-a-gasket" solution then, the "permatex" suggestion from "Chris-Bob" is, in my opinion, the best by far.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

That rings a bell - hydraulic hose suppliers - they have all kinds of o-rings. Look for the shops that make up hose while you wait. PR may be a beautiful island, but it has to have the same base of equipment dealers and shops to support all that stuff.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:00 PM
TReK
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

That looks like a 'square' O ring, correct?

Quick Reply: Crappy new steering box fix