Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Crappy new steering box fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:05 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
That looks like a 'square' O ring, correct?
I was about to post the same thing. That is definitely a square o-ring. You need to go to a hydraulic shop for a replacement. Not a auto parts or plumbing parts store. The hydraulic shop can usually source the correct one for under $10(including shipping to your island, about the same as my island)

Old 09-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If your mechanic can get an accurate measurement with calipers, ID, OD, cross section size, I can probably find you one here in Atlanta and mail it to you.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have extra top plate seals I can send you for free. They are from rebuilds, but never leaked. PM me if you want it.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, Walt. It is a square O ring. BTW do you have a front right window channel for me? How's the city? I miss it. My Rover does not.

I think I should get the proper O ring as well. If I find it then I will have a perfectly new box I believe. I may be optimistic but I think the rest of it is fine.

Even with my Mitutoyo Digital Calipter (don't ask) it's pretty hard to accurately measure a rubber O ring and the new one is too small but the old one surely has morphed since it was made.

Savannah, hilarious you know Casa de Tornillo (house of screws - hot bordello). I was there last week looking for stuff. I've been to a far range of places lookin' for it here.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...thanks guys...ill try to measure it and identify it and then let's see what we can do.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Make sure you get the correct material as well. With power steering, trans and hyd fluid you will need a buna-n seal which is very common. I have 100s of thousands of square cut o-rings in stock but only in about 15-20 sizes. If you have the measurements; I can see if I have anything and if not I will see if I can get what you need. McMaster is an excellent resource if they will ship to you,

Most jewlery stores have a tool to size rings that works well to assist with measuring orings: slide your o-ring on the tool and measure where it stops.

Todd

Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a longshot here but do you have a construction equipment dealership near you (caterpillar, etc...)? That is a D-ring and they are commonly used on their hydraulic pumps in thousands of sizes. They may be able to match one up for you in their service/parts department.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
yes, Walt. It is a square O ring. BTW do you have a front right window channel for me? How's the city? I miss it. My Rover does not.

I think I should get the proper O ring as well. If I find it then I will have a perfectly new box I believe. I may be optimistic but I think the rest of it is fine.

Even with my Mitutoyo Digital Calipter (don't ask) it's pretty hard to accurately measure a rubber O ring and the new one is too small but the old one surely has morphed since it was made.

Savannah, hilarious you know Casa de Tornillo (house of screws - hot bordello). I was there last week looking for stuff. I've been to a far range of places lookin' for it here.
i would suggest you are wasting your time measuring the o ring itself, i would measure up the groove width, internal diameter (ID), the housing dia (OD) and give those measurements to a industrial seal/hydraulic shop, they can, from the those measurements, figure out the correct size ring for the job, all seals/o rings or what ever have very specific crush sizes for it to do the job correctly (not leak) you have a old steering box there i gather so measure that.

cheers

Pedronz