Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Cross threading

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022 | 07:29 PM
|
Overlanding
Default Cross threading

Today I was trying to put my front passenger caliper back on and the top bolt holding the caliper on seems to have a cross threaded hole. I’m not sure how deep it is cross threaded, I took the caliper off a while ago but I do remember this bolt took a lot of force the entire way to remove. Is there any way I can save the threads in the hole?

Old 07-15-2022 | 11:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hard to say w/o seeing how bad it is. But here's what I would consider:

1) Get a bottoming tap and clean up the threads that are there. (or cut the end off a regular tap ..so it goes into the bore). Maybe there are enough threads left in there to work. Use cutting oil, go slow and careful.
2) You could consider making a new bolt, with slightly larger threads by using a split, adjustable die. You could get a bolt at a hardware store (say, a 2.5" long bolt with some unthreaded region on the shaft). Then, adjust the die 'open' a little more. Then you can cut the threads a little larger diameter than the original bolt threads. The new, 'larger' threads will *more fully* grab onto what remaining threads there are in the bore. Measure carefully and make the new bolt as deep as you can reasonably go in case the last couple threads deep in the bore are still in good condition. Don't tighten the bolt as much as before after you have it on. You can buy the right size adjustable die on ebay pretty inexpensively. (see link ..not sure if that the size you need, but for reference)
3) Apply epoxy in the bore and re-tread. Epoxy, like JB Weld will help fill the void and grab tighter. Clean & degrease bore in advance with carb cleaner.
4) Helicoil (probably be the last resort for me).

I would probably do 1-2&3. I have a very similar situation on my plow Jeep caliper. Not my doing, ...was like it when I bought it. They actually sell a brake slider pin made with slightly oversized threads for that application. Guess I'm not alone with that problem.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304074181684

Last edited by Mark G; 07-16-2022 at 12:11 AM.