Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Cummins 4bt Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:46 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins 4bt Conversion?

I've blown the head gaskets on my 1997 Discovery I, and I'm considering putting a 4bt into her. Has anyone heard of anyone doing this, or have any thoughts/suggestions?

Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Cost of HG set is $118 - or less if you shop. Plus have heads milled. $250 near me. Versus any adapters, welding, fabrication, etc.

2. Will diesel produce more torque than the delicate drive train can support?

4. Space?

5. Legal in your state for inspections?

6. Others have done similar -

Old 07-21-2013, 08:15 PM
3rd Gear

Ok, thank you.

1. Do you know of anywhere to get an adapter plate for a Discovery?

2. I read somewhere that the stock LR drivetrain will hold up to 350 hp, but not sure about torque though.

3. I've also read that the 4bt should fit into the engine bay(Length-30.6" Width-24.6" Height-37.7") but the 6bt shouldn't.

4. TN doesn't have inspections, so we're good there.

5. Has anyone done this for a Discovery? I've seen series LRs and tons of jeeps.

6. Are you suggesting that it would be better to just have the LR engine rebuilt? I've had to LRs and both have had the heads blown.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

I am suggesting that a simple head gasket repair will be easier to accomplish and modestly priced. I can't imagine that Rover put in more metal than they needed to on the drive train. Lots of aftermarket drive shafts.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I am suggesting that a simple head gasket repair will be easier to accomplish and modestly priced. I can't imagine that Rover put in more metal than they needed to on the drive train. Lots of aftermarket drive shafts.
Uh, besides stating the obvious 4bt swaps are fairly common in the 4X4 world Buzz while using stock drivetrains..... a 6bt is another animal so your answer (video of a 6 cylinder) doesn't fit the question asked (4bt). P95 if you haven't seen this site then by all means lurk here; Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums

Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

All true, and we had a posting on here for a guy in Texas with the conversion mostly finished after considerable time and coin, and he sold it rather than finish it. From a fiscal standpoint, a person has to decide if a truck of that age is worth the money. There are also Mercedes diesels that are put in these, and GM six cylinders in older Series models. Depends on your goals for the truck, time and funding available.

As for putting anything into anything, my dad sponsered one of the Arfons guys back in the 60's at the local drag strip for a promotion, they had a surplus fighter jet engine shoe horned into a 66 Dodge Dart.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
they had a surplus fighter jet engine shoe horned into a 66 Dodge Dart.
*quickly opens craigslist to search for jet engines!

The following users liked this post:
DoubleAFL (09-13-2019)
Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks guys. I'll try looking there.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people doing what they want with their truck. But this "college of Rover knowledge" is like any other university, freshman classes tend to be large, and basic. As knowledge grows, it becomes more specialized and you head into an area of specialization. We have freshmen, upper classmen, and grad students here, along with doctors of dieselology, masters of mud mayhem, etc.

And what you get here is mostly opinions, from one person or another. If you took all your classes from one guy, then all you would know is what he knew. You need a variety of opinions. None of us knows it all, and no one knows more than all of us.

I doubt this site will ever be a haven all, but it does support quite a few folks with general info. The education and experience level of our members varies, as does the thickness of their checkbook. Most read on here, and seldom post. Some post too often (mea culpa).

Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Overlanding

You don't post too often, Buzz! I've learned a lot from your posts, and I can't imagine that I'm the only one!

Quick Reply: Cummins 4bt Conversion?