Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

CV Joint - Cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012 | 09:38 PM
|
Mudding
Default CV Joint - Cost

So - After getting my engine/cooling problems resolved, I am on to my next challenge - the clicking sound I get when turning both left and right ... I think the only obvious culprit is that both CV joints are shot.

Now - in looking for replacements, I have checked out the usual Rover stores online including Atlantic British which lists these for either $199 or $249 depending which link you click on ...
CV Joint Replacement Kit For Land Rover Discovery I And Range Rover Classic
CV Joint Replacement Kit - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British

Also, I can find them on Ebay for under $50 and they appear to be new!

Are the Ebay ones likely sub-par quality or is it just Ebay in its usual liquidation pricing?
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I was thinking about the wreckers but am worried about buying one that could easily be in bad shape itself due to limiting greasing and siting in a yard for years ...

Old 04-01-2012 | 09:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just get a known good pair off a parts guy on here. Replace them both if you're gonna do it. I actually have a couple spare sets if you cant find any send me a PM....

Old 04-01-2012 | 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
Old 04-01-2012 | 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Old 04-01-2012 | 09:56 PM
Team Owner

The ones on e-bay are usually rebuilt units.
AutoZone sells rebuilt ones too, but I'd go with the ones from British Pacific and then you will also need to seals for the hubs too.
And grease to repack your wheel bearings.

Old 04-01-2012 | 09:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'd by a pair of known good used ones before I'd by all makes.. The genuine LR CV joints are made by Dana Spicer and as long as they are lubed and not being used with oversized tires they will generally outlast your vehicle.

All makes.... Hit more miss. I would only buy stuff from their "premium" line

Old 04-01-2012 | 10:10 PM
Team Owner

I've never had a problem with Allmakes, but I have never bought anything of substance of theres, I have heard their water pumps are junk though.
I agree with the Rover CV's, mine are still good, just keep them lubed.

Old 04-01-2012 | 10:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
I've never had a problem with Allmakes, but I have never bought anything of substance of theres, I have heard their water pumps are junk though.
I agree with the Rover CV's, mine are still good, just keep them lubed.

I got one of the bad panhard rod bushings they made. It lasted not even a month and when it went I got the worst death wobble ever like almost went of the road and had to keep stopping whenever it would happen bad.

I have been reassured that all the "all makes premium" stuff is actually good. I just get all my stuff thru Justin at L8 cause I know if he puts his stamp on it it's good. And if for some reason it isn't, I know with one call it will be fixed.

Old 04-02-2012 | 02:58 AM
|
Mudding

Am I correct in thinking the two links you posted are together what I would need for the job (obviously X 2 each)?

Old 04-02-2012 | 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Or fly low and fast with the partz vulturez at the self serve salvage yards, takes less than 30 minutes to pull it out, and you get to practice on a truck that you don't own. I paid $35 for hub, CV and half shaft. On the spare shelf, found out I didn't needed it. The bearings inside are the size of ping pong *****, if you keep grease on it should be good for a long time. I would point out that most Discos in salvage are there for engine problems or wreck.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-01-2012 at 05:30 AM.

Quick Reply: CV Joint - Cost