Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D1 Transfer Case Solenoid Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default D1 Transfer Case Solenoid Removal

Doing the transfer case solenoid removal this weekend, and I can't actually seem to get the solenoid itself out of the transfer case. After the ton of work pulling the console out, drilling the rivets, pulling the solenoid cover, and doing it all to maintain my Disco's immaculate interior, I can't actually get the damn thing out of the transfer case. I was at a pick and pull yesterday to get a replacement and ran into the same thing. Figured it was a fluke on that one truck. Now I'm running into the same thing. What's up with this? Does it screw out? Is there a fastener in that little recess in the top of it? Help!

Attached Thumbnails D1 Transfer Case Solenoid Removal-img_8838.jpg  
Old 06-03-2018, 08:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by vanbadri
Doing the transfer case solenoid removal this weekend, and I can't actually seem to get the solenoid itself out of the transfer case. After the ton of work pulling the console out, drilling the rivets, pulling the solenoid cover, and doing it all to maintain my Disco's immaculate interior, I can't actually get the damn thing out of the transfer case. I was at a pick and pull yesterday to get a replacement and ran into the same thing. Figured it was a fluke on that one truck. Now I'm running into the same thing. What's up with this? Does it screw out? Is there a fastener in that little recess in the top of it? Help!

i have no idea as to the answer but i’ll comment to help keep the thread going. There are plenty of folks here who know the answer. Have you looked at the RAVE manual?

The following users liked this post:
vanbadri (06-04-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 08:48 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Tap on it with a rubber mallet side to side and it will just pull out.

The following users liked this post:
vanbadri (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:01 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Icannap1
Tap on it with a rubber mallet side to side and it will just pull out.
I actually managed to yank it out about a minute after posting this. Typical. Thank you though! I think on the one in the junkyard, someone had used RTV not only to seal the cover on top, but to seal the solenoid into the recess. Fail. For anyone's future reference, I just put a pair of channel locks on the thing and wiggled it.