Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Dash/intrument lights & RH Tail lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
LH stalk switch/connector. Fix it.
I agree with the above statement. Worked for me. Found a used one at a wrecker for $40. Replaced the whole stalk and no issues since!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Are you sure you cleaned all the contacts completely? The first time I rebuilt mine it didn't work and I went back and cleaned until only clean brass showed. Some contacts were corroded to the point that material was missing after I scraped it clean.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by archaeology_student
I agree with the above statement. Worked for me. Found a used one at a wrecker for $40. Replaced the whole stalk and no issues since!
I remember...... of course you have the word "student" included in your member name.... zigzag has a genuine neural slippage -- lighting a match becomes rocket science -- but eventually gets back to the simple issue of light to see by without burning the neighborhood down with a rocket motor.

Wrapped around the axle and cannot see through the spokes because the tire is in the way......

Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I tried jumping the bat even though volts read 11.8. It still would not start. Very weird. Im gonna bite the bullet and tow it to the shop tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what it was once someone else gets it sorted out for me. At least I've got nearly everything in the dash/rear tail area already disassembled for them. Crap!!!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm betting on grounds needing cleanup. Where you located?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have cleaned your light switch stalk, then before spending money on other major parts, I would try a used light stalk. D1 & D2 light stalk are the same. I still believe that is the issue, so maybe something burnt or damaged beyond repair in yours or needs deeper cleaning and shining of the contacts.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I'm betting on grounds needing cleanup. Where you located?
I'm in Houston. Don't know what else to try. Several people keep pointing me to the light stalk. I've tried three different stalks now and none worked. Tried rebuilding one and that didn't work either. Now the no starting thing tonight.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm from Houston. I lived in channel view for a long time. I grew up there. Now we have a few houses in cypress. What part of Houston?

Old 02-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Drifting
Default Fuse #7

Okay Gents, I gave it another go today before bringing it into the shop. Decided to go Apollo 13 on this issue and remove ALL the bulbs from the rear RH side - tail light assembly/corner markers/bumper lights/etc, then check all fuses. Then I added each bulb one at a time with the headlight switch 'On'. First light to go in was my RH taillight and BINGO!! (it worked!!!). Added all of the other lights to the RH rear light assembly and all worked!! Then I added the RH side marker (okay so far and everything still works). Last bulb to go in was the RH bumper light....and POOF! (they all go out again including my dash!). Checked my fuses and low and behold Fuse #7 was blown. Fuse #7 should be for the SRS system so why is this blowing??? Also, why do all my RH rear lights work except for when I plug in the RH bumper light? I've seen posts about the trailer plug having problems. Could it have something to do with that and if so how would I check? I've tried brand new light sockets in the bumper and still get the same result. Also, yes, I have confirmed I'm using the right bulbs.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you are making progress. Not sure I can be much help on this, but will watch to learn for the day this particular gremlin hits my rover

Quick Reply: Dash/intrument lights & RH Tail lights not working