Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

De-computerize

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Winching
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Speaking of making a video, I was going to do that but didn't have much luck finding a program that would let me do it on my ol' XP machine. I'd be glad to do it if I could figure out how to do it on the free.
I've never had a problem once I figured out:
  1. Connect obd SX to truck.
  2. Connect to laptop.
  3. Start Owiz.
  4. Connect to SX/Truck through Owiz.
  5. Once Owiz is connected, hit the disconnect button in Owiz but leave Owiz open. I minimized after to get it out of my way.
  6. Run robertf's GEM program.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Winching
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh ok that makes sense when I tried it on my xp virtualbox I never ran the obd wiz program. But if the updated program works on Windows 10, I'll make a video of it, and if it gets enough views I'll put the proceeds towards a new laptop for hrhoward. Not that xp isn't the og operating system.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:04 PM
Winching

Just a video showing how to use the tool tomorrow I'll hook it up the truck.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

very cool. I've never been good at documentation. Once something kind of works I usually push it aside

Those of you who have had the old version work did you happen to have cygwin installed? Since it was developed in *nix environment I used the cygwin compiler the first go round, I suspect it was dependent on their libraries. New version was compiled using MS visual studio and that seems to have fixed the glitch.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Winching
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

mr4x4, good job on the video.
robertf, I don't know what cygwin is or if it's installed on my XP laptop. I can find out if you tell me where to look.

Well, I was going to try and make a video on my old laptop but when I fired it up, "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

Last edited by hrhoward; 11-07-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Winching

very happy tonight lol

So I tried the new GEMS11 program on windows 10 however it stayed stuck on error COM state. I don't know if it was just my PC or a general problem however I said well if XP works for hrhoward, it should work for me as well. So I went to my virtualbox windows xp and connected the OBDlink SX through it, now the difference this time was that I installed the obdwiz program and connected and disconnected to it just like hrhoward said to do. And what do you know it worked. I was in the process of making a video of the windows 10 version but since it didn't work I decided not to continue. However I'll be more than happy to make a video of how I installed windows XP and ran it successfully through there. Started the truck and she purrs like a kitten now no more high/dynamic idle speed. In addition the engine starts without throttle input. Much thanks to RobertTF for the program and hrhoward.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Winching

Not working quite right on windows 10, could just be an error on my machine however

working properly with OBDWiz running<br/><br/> reseting the idle speed on good ol xp

Old 11-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Winching

Ok here's the shaky video as promised. Hopefully this can help others that have a high idling Disco but may not have alot of computer knowledge.