Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Has anyone else seen this morgan GEMs manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 08:03 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Has anyone else seen this morgan GEMs manual?

Check this out... the rover v8 as a morgan engine and GEMs data. It includes the specific differences between Morgan and LR applications and is a great read.

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/GEMS/GEMSbyPoole.pdf

Here are two sections of great interest (the first is specific to my situation)..but the whole 109 pages are a great source of info.

Known Failures - 1
 As far as is known there are three types of failures that have been experienced on Morgans,
but they may be isolated instances and not cause for concern. They are mentioned as
general background material in case similar symptoms are experienced. The only Technical
Bulletin issued by LR is for CKP/Flywheel contact which is the first of the failures mentioned
below.
 Crankshaft Position Sensor/Flywheel Contact
 Symptoms - the engine momentary cuts out or misfires especially when the clutch is pressed in. If
the CKP sensor is removed it will show a bright spot where contact has occurred.
 Cause – momentary contact between the tip of the CKP and the flywheel reluctor rings caused by
either a loose CKP housing (it is bonded into the crankcase) or incorrect clearance being set during
engine manufacture
 Solution – remove the inspection panel under the bell-housing and the CKP sensor, and check for
signs of contact on the sensor and on the reluctor rings. Check the CKP Sensor housing and ensure
that it firmly bonded to the crankcase. If it is loose, remove it, clean the two surfaces and re-bond it
using a reliable two-part epoxy. Replace the CKP sensor and set the sensor housing so that the
sensor sits between the two rows of reluctor ring and enters them to a depth of 0.020. If the housing
is securely bonded the problem is due to incorrect housing placement during manufacture, and the
solution will depend on the extent of the misalignment problem. It may be possible to remove the
housing, but if it is securely bonded it this may prove to be a difficult task. In this case the sensor
can be re-positioned using shims, or in an emergency the tip of the sensor can be filed to avoid
contact.
 CAUTION - When re-installing the sensor make sure that the tip is not contaminated by magnetic
debris, which can also cause problems.
 CAUTION – The sensor is supplied with an alloy spacer. Some engines have this spacer bonded to
the housing, and care should be taken to make sure that two spacers are not inadvertently fitted.

Known Failures - 2
 IACV Contamination
 Symptoms - the symptoms are an unstable idle or failure of the engine to idle at all.
 Cause – if the car is not used regularly there have been instances of the IACV
becoming contaminated with either corrosion or dirt.
 Solution – remove the IACV and clean the pintle valve and throttle body housing with
carburetor cleaner. After re-assembly the Idle Setup Procedure should be carried out.
CAUTION - take care not to force the stepper motor controlling the pintle valve to
change position

 NOTE –similar symptoms can be caused by mis-adjustment of the bleed air bypass
valve. If the symptoms persist after cleaning the valve and the Idle Setup Procedure
has not been performed it is almost certain that this is the cause.

emphasis mine for those who have removed their IAC.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Winching
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

speaking of iac and idle type stuff RobertTF has created a program to reset the GEMS ecu to the original idle values, just tested it today and now my truck is running normal again, very cool stuff, the for thread is called decomputerize.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did see this but didn't plow through it. Good catch. This may be priceless for some folks or me in the future.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:28 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

It is in the link in my sig in the 'engines' folder.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Winching
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah for me it definitely was priceless. For 10 bucks I'll send you my obd link sx if you promise to send it back after you use it. ��