Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Dead spot in the throttle, in "limp" mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead spot in the throttle, in "limp" mode

Hi there, posted about my issue but now I know it's not the transmission, so posting again about the updated symptoms. 1997 automatic Disco with 123K, was going to have it towed but since my dad's truck broke down we went to take another look at it to see if we couldn't drive it back. (There is a quarter of a tank of gas left). It had stopped running right when I was going about 55, the throttle cut out and it was acting like it was going to stall out.

Managed to get it running by taking the airflow sensor off, it wouldn't turn over normally, and then had to limp its way back home. There was a dead spot in the throttle, pushing it to the floor did almost nothing, had to find the sweet spot in 1st gear, then moved up to 2nd and 3rd. Got a top speed of maybe 30mph maximum, and it wouldn't go any higher than that. Almost didn't make it with all the stoplights and stop signs, since stopping or slowing down made it almost stop completely.

We think it might be a sensor, or the mass air flow sensor itself, but my dad works on VW's and I've only recently got this truck 3 months ago, so I was hoping someone here would be able to lead me in the right direction as to what would be causing all this, what to check/how to check what might be the issue. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Totally unrelated but I had something like that happen (on different vehicle) and after nothing else worked, it turned out to be a bunch of water in the tank from a recent fill-up. It took at least 4 fill-ups with HEET to work it out. Probably not it, but if other things fail, might be worth pulling one end of the filter off, draining some fuel into a glass jar and checking for water.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

if you are obd 2 you need to see live data for tps and such

try this pull the cover for the gas sender and unplug the connector upper right with a small hose iirc with maf hooked back up see if that helps