Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

DI Donnelly Auto-Dim Mirror Failure and Toxic Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DI Donnelly Auto-Dim Mirror Failure and Toxic Fluid UPDATE: Reman/Exchange Info

I have the classic failed auto-dimming mirror where half the mirror is dark and half light in my '97 DI. Turns out this same mirror, Donnelly Model 011530 (since acquired by Magna), is used in many vehicles and there is a lot of information documenting what is sometimes catastrophic failure. It seems the fluid in these mirrors is very destructive if it leaks out of the mirror housing. It can permanently stain your interior and even melt some plastic it comes in contact with. In rare instances, the mirror has burst spraying this toxic fluid all over the interior of some vehicles causing extensive damage. As I understand it, Magna Donnelly was replacing these mirrors free until a few years ago, but now they refer you to a remanufacture exchange program run by a company called Sybesma. It costs around $100.00 and the new units use a gel instead of this nasty fluid. I had been looking to buy a used replacement, but knowing the nature of the old fluid, I'd much rather have the newer unit with the gel. I have sent an inquiry to Sybesma to confirm the info.

Has anyone here been through this process or does anyone know how Rover treated this problem? I'm wondering if there is a silent recall on these mirrors before I pay the cost of going through the remanufacture program.

Here a link to a well documented post from the Jaguar Forum as one example of the info on this issue:

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17719

Last edited by jigray3; 10-07-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: New Info
Old 10-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the failed mirror. I never knew there was a recall. Be interested to see what you find out.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:14 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto. Just started about a month ago.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 97 the mirror was totally shot, but I was able to get one off a DII and make it fit. Free.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

me too on the mirror replacement.....I found a cheap one on ebay out of a DII.

It's amazing to me that in this world we live in that this mirror problem that we all have or likely WILL have has not been considdered enough of a safety hazzard to warrant a recall by the feds.
Even if you were offered a cheap old school manual flip day/night model as a replacement.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the autodimming really worth it? almost all my windows are tinted (rear i removed cuz it was messed up) and i just plan on grabbing a generic mirror to replace it for like 15 rather then spend 100 on something i dont think i'll get any use out of since imma retint my rear window anyways.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Here's a dumb question. How do these mirrors normally function? Do they automatically dim when someone's brights hit them, or just dim during the day? Mine's been broken since I got it, so I've never actually seen it work. Wonder if it's even worth it, as mentioned earlier.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

with mine anyway.....as a vehicle gets closer to you its lights cause a reaction in the mirror and their reflection becomes dimmer, the closer they get, the dimmer the mirror up to a certain point. Nice feature , but not as reliable ( or as dim) as the old style flip day/night mirror. Sometimes we have a little TOO much tech !!!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Default DII mirror on DI

Originally Posted by ngarover
On my 97 the mirror was totally shot, but I was able to get one off a DII and make it fit. Free.
What did it take to make it fit? I'm pretty handy under the hood, but not with gentle, precision cosmetic jobs.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My local dealer was not aware if there was a recall. I doubted there was, but I was hoping Land Rover might be stand up on this issue. The DII mirrors are made by a different vendor using the safer technology I believe, so that's probably a good way to go. Supposedly, the gel versions actually work better, which is to say the auto-dimming feature is more effective than the old liquid filled Donnellys.

I was able to contact Sybesmas Electronics and their remanufacture exchange program is very real. If you like the auto dimming feature, the price seems in line. I'm just happy to get the thing out of my vehicle even if the chances of a leak are small. Here's the info Sybesmas sent. There was also an attached form to complete:

Thank you for contacting us. Exchange pricing is as follows:

US Residents: $79 + S/H

Canada & Mexico residents: $150USD

Overseas residents: $175USD

We do require your defective mirror be returned to us once you have received a functioning mirror. A pre-paid return service label is provided for residents of US, Canada & Mexico only. Overseas customers will need to return the unit at their own expense. Failure to return your defective unit within 30 days will result in a non-refundable core charge of $200USD.

Please note that we do not support mirrors with the home link option. (Home link is a 3 button option on the bottom of your mirror allowing operation of a garage door)

The attached form will need to be completed in full and pictures of the following will need to be included for us to determine what mirror it is that you are in need of. If an order is sent and is incomplete we will make one email attempt to obtain information before it is discarded.

-Front and rear views of the mirror-the mirror must be removed from the windshield in order to obtain these photos.

-The plug, pins, and any wires

-The mounting bracket located on rear of the mirror.

Please make sure these photos are clear and in focus.

Do not open the black casing surrounding the mirror as this will cause damage and the unit will no longer be valuable as an exchange and you will be charged the full purchase price of $200.00.

BMW OWNERS ONLY: If your mirror has a white sticker on the “neck”, and it contains a number that begins with a 7, all we need is a photo of that sticker in addition to the order form filled out to the best of your ability. If your mirror does not have this sticker, please remove your mirror and follow the above process.

You may include your credit card number on your order form or we will call you for this information when your mirror is ready to be shipped. Thank you

Thank you,

Sybesma’s Electronics

616-392-6911

BTW, how are you guys getting this thing off safely? The Jaguar link used a block of wood and rubber mallet.

Last edited by jigray3; 10-07-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: DI Donnelly Auto-Dim Mirror Failure and Toxic Fluid