Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

DI Donnelly Auto-Dim Mirror Failure and Toxic Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine also failed about 3 years ago. I was putting it off until I took care of the more critical maintenance issues since the price for the mirror at AB is $300. I don't know if RN sells an alternative since their site is a pain to search (IMO) for parts. I really wish they would improve that.

Anyway, keep us posted if you send yours in and get a replacement, and how that process goes.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I bought a Gentex (they make the DII mirror) mirror with auto dim as well as compass and temp off of Craig's List for $100.
Works great.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I bought a Gentex (they make the DII mirror) mirror with auto dim as well as compass and temp off of Craig's List for $100.
Works great.
what did it take to wire up the temp and compass? i'd love to have that in mine.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco
Mine also failed about 3 years ago. I was putting it off until I took care of the more critical maintenance issues since the price for the mirror at AB is $300. I don't know if RN sells an alternative since their site is a pain to search (IMO) for parts. I really wish they would improve that.

Anyway, keep us posted if you send yours in and get a replacement, and how that process goes.
Will do. It is worth noting that Sybesmas was recommended by Magna Donnelly and that the inconvenient part of the program is that you need to take the mirror off to meet he photo requirements to place your order. It would be nice if you only had to take it off once.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dansgt
what did it take to wire up the temp and compass? i'd love to have that in mine.
The temp sensor has its own wire that you run under the headliner, down the "A" pillar under the hood and out to the grill.
The power comes form the old mirror's power cord, you cut the old wiring and splice in the new, the old wire harness is a pigtail from a bigger harness under the headliner.
You will need a GM mirror mount as the DI uses its own funky weird mount that cannot be removed from the glass and no you cannot get a new one unless you get a whole new windshield.
Glue on the GM button, any glass shop can do this and I HIGHLY recommend you let them for under $20.
Let the glue set up for 24 hours and then install your new mirror.
It takes about a hour to install and you run the wires under the headliner to the "A" pillar, that pillar comes off so you can run the wire behind it out of sight.

Here is what my mirror looks like installed.

Name:  9121965d.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  68.2 KB

Old 10-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Mudding

how can you not remove the old mount? i think imma go with the d2 mirror haha.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Team Owner

how can you not remove the old mount? i think imma go with the d2 mirror haha.
Because the glue they use is super industrial strength and if you try and remove it you will crack the glass.
You cannot see the old mount from the drivers seat.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Mudding

my glass is already cracked haha. is it possible to get a new windshield without that mount? i'm gonna replace mine when i get out to the midwest so if something happens on the way i'm not doing it twice.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Team Owner

No you cannot get a windshield without the mount.
No you cannot "custom" order a Land Rover windshield with the GM mount.
Yes I have already looked into all of the different angles.
I even went to the Gentex factory and talked to their R&D guys.
They hooked up my mirror for free, took them 30 min total.

Your best bet for a aftermarket mirror is to get the one you want for a GM car or truck.
Run all the wiring and then have your windshield replaced and ask the glass guy to mount your new mirror for you.
They always have the GM button in their vans.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Mudding

is the autodimming really worth it? almost all my windows are tinted (rear i removed cuz it was messed up) and i just plan on grabbing a generic mirror to replace it for like 15 rather then spend 100 on something i dont think i'll get any use out of since imma retint my rear window anyways.
Nice to see you here!

E39 M5s had the same issue with the auto dim mirror, not sure if they were recalled or not.

Quick Reply: DI Donnelly Auto-Dim Mirror Failure and Toxic Fluid